Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.

Brand new epson wf-3640, plugged in cycles then error code

Customer Question

brand new epson wf-3640
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Epson is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: plugged in cycles then error code 0x69
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: pc windows 10 64
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: nothing first use
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: just took it out of the box
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.

Sorry to hear that you’re having trouble with this but I’ll do my best to help you out.

Did you insert the ink cartridges yet?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no, instructions say turn and configure first
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

And that is correct, but the error indicates a bad cartridge, so if that is coming up, it is most likely because you missed some packing material inside before you turned it on.

Unplug power,

open it up and be sure to remove all of the internal packing materials (foam, tape, etc), then plug back in and power on, and follow the on screen prompts.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No Tape no pac*****, *****e response 0x69
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Okay we will have to try and force it ahead then, raise the lid and see if the carriage moves over. If not, try to slide it over manually and put the cartridges in.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it didnt move, but i recycled the start up and when it moved I disconnected the power, so it is open'
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Okay that is fine as well. Go ahead and put the cartridges in and power back up

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
error code 0x69 again
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Okay something else is wrong then, you may have ended up with a faulty printer from the factory or damaged in transit.

Lets try a reset process next:unplug power at the wall outlet

wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further if needed.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
same results
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for trying,

unfortunately, that does confirm that there is an underlying hardware fault here.

At this point there is nothing more to be done on your end, the printer will need to be returned to the retailer and they would exchange it for a new unit for you.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service using the stars at the top of the page; hopefully I have earned 5 Stars. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.

Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. I apologize this is not the outcome you had hoped for, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. Rating 1 or 2, or not rating at all, does not produce a refund, it only penalizes me for trying to help.

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?