jinsmn, Engineer

How do I scan to *.txt file format with a "hewlett packard

Customer Question

how do I scan to *.txt file format with a "hewlett packard laserjet pro 400 mfp m425dn"
Category: Printers
Expert:  jinsmn replied 2 months ago.

Hello Sir/Madam. Thank you very much for giving us an opportunity to help you. I am Jins here to assist you. Please remember these things when we deal with your issue. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied. Please do not rate an answer, if you are not satisfied.

To scan as editable text, you must install the Readiris Pro optical character recognition (OCR) software that comes with your scanner. Please check the disks you got with your scanner and install Readiris Pro if it is not installed. Then follow below steps.

1. With Readiris Pro open on the computer, click Next in the OCR Wizard pane.

2. Select Scanner as your image source, select your desired rotation option, and then click Next.

3. Click Change if any additional setup options are needed, and then click Next.

4. Set the document language, and then click Next.

5. Click Change to modify the output format or target application, and then click Next.(The scanned document will open in Microsoft Word, by default.)
  6. Click Go to scan the document.

7. The HP Scanning window opens. Make any image adjustments, and then click Finish.

8. Readiris Pro converts the scan to editable text and then prompts you to save the document to My Documents.

9. Save the document. The document automatically opens in Microsoft Word or the application you chose in the previous step.

Expert:  jinsmn replied 2 months ago.

The Readiris Pro software CD is not included in the box with HP LaserJet Pro Multifunction Printers (MFPs).

Follow these steps to download the Readiris Pro software:

1. Go to HP Support (

2. Click Drivers & Downloads, type the printer name in the search box, and then click Go.

3. Select the printer model from the list of search results.

4. Select an operating system and click Next.

5. Follow the step for your printer model:

6. Under the Utility section, locate the Readiris Pro v12 download tool, and then click Download. OR

7. Under the Driver - Product Installation Software section, locate the ...Full software and Drivers option, and then click Download.

8. Click Save, select the location to save the .exe file, and then click Save again.

9. Browse to the location where you saved the .exe file, double-click the file to extract the files, and then follow the on-screen instructions to install the software.