Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

Epson Stylus Photo 1400 when trying to print, it will act

Customer Question

Epson Stylus Photo 1400
when trying to print, it will act like it will print and then the paper and ink light will flash together fast. I have tried shutting the printer off, rebooted the computer, still not working.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.

Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you, Bernadette.

Unfortunately this error indicates a hardware problem,

specifically, it is the result of a bad printhead (or the logic board that controls it).

The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2007 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.

There is one step you can take here, to clean and reset the system, but it is very unlikely to help. 99.9% of the time, this does come down to a hardware fault.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $250; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For the same price range you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the cleaning/reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?