Jennifer French
Jennifer French, Technician
Experience:  Owner at Down Home Technical Solutions
95132829

Will the card reader go out on the HP Pavillion? I can't get

Customer Question

Will the card reader go out on the HP Pavillion ? I can't get mine to read the cards.
also will the SD card go bad?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Jennifer French replied 7 months ago.

Dear Lynda,

Yes, sometimes the SD card reader will go bad due to a bad connection from the reader to the motherboard. The SD card will also go bad after so many uses. Even thumb drives have a limited life but you should get ample use out of the SD card before it does go kaput on you.

Are you getting an error or is it just not reading? Is there a light indicator and is it lit up? Let me know.

Jennie

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The light on the SD card does come on.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
When I try to get the computer to read the card, nothing happens.

Well, Lynda, here is what I suggest.

First, try another SD card to make sure the issue is not with the card itself. If another card works, then the issue is with the card.

If it is NOT the card, you will probably need to reinstall the drivers for the SD card reader. You can get to this in Windows by pressing your Windows key (in between CTRL and ALT on the left side of your keyboard) and the letter R at the same time. A search box will come up. type in devmgmt.msc and your device manager will come up.

The device you are looking for will be under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers or memory technology devices and will be labeled as a card reader.

Right click on the device once you find it and click uninstall. Do NOT click the check box that will delete the driver information.

Then, at the top, click ACTION and Scan for hardware changes.

This should reinstall it.

Once reinstalled, try the card again and it should work.

If this doesn't work, reply so we can try something else.

If it DOES work, remember to rate my answer so that I may receive credit and continue assisting other people!

Thanks,

Jennie

Were you still having issues? Please let us know.