John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

I had a paper jam. I pulled the paper out and now the

Customer Question

I had a paper jam. I pulled the paper out and now the computer says the printer door is open. The printer copies just fine. But I cannot print from Word because the computer says the printer door is open when it is not. How do I correct this error message?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

That problem must be vexing, but I hope I can provide advice that will help cure the problem.

Some questions about the printer:

- what does the printer itself show, does it show a printer door open error or any error at all?

- what maker and model of printer is it?

- have you selected the right printer, to match the one you are printing to, in the MS Word software's printing settings? a mismatch there, might account for the problem.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The printer shows current date and time and makes copies just fine.
The printer is HP Office Jet 5510 all-in-one.
Yes, I have selected the correct printer.

Try shutting down the MS Word program, clearing your Temporary Files using Disk Cleanup (if you have Windows on your computer), then after that, starting MS Word again and trying again.

If the error recurs, note it down word for word exactly, please, and let me know what it is.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The error has recurred and says "door open" 1 document waiting.

Remove that print job from the queue, I suggest. Then re-send it, if necessary

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I've tried that. Does not work.

Once you had removed the print job from the printer's queue... did the message in MS Word go away at all?

Or is it a message that only comes up when you send a print job?

If so, please copy down the message, and let me know what it says in full.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I've cancelled the print job. The printer still says door open. It only comes up when I send a job to the printer via computer. It copies just fine. I have turned off the computer, disconnected the printer from the computer, still no luck. I will try removing the cartridges and reinstalling them. Maybe they have moved or something. Will let you knowl
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No luck

That's not likely to affect the 'door open' indication.

That means something is indicating wrong, or configured wrong.

Check *every* detail, in setting up a print job from MS Word.

Also try printing from some other program than an MS Office Suite program. Does that work?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It does not print from Quicken either. I get the same notice "printer door open". apparently when I pulled the paper out of the printer, I messed up something. also, I cannot afford the $39 charge for remote access.

No remote access is required to solve this problem, I hope.

(That message suggesting remote access came from the JustAnswer system, not from me, by the way.)

Where did you pull the paper out of the printer? sometimes, when removed wrongly, it can harm the printer.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
From the front. It was card stock and I used a pair of needle nose pliers.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I pulled it forward-over the top.

That may well have damaged the printer. Forcible removal of heavy stock can place considerable stress upon printer parts.

But, look into that area of the printer, after removing all trays and paper. Do you see anything damaged-looking?

If needed and if possible, take a photo, and post it to me, so that I can judge.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I can't see anything damaged I don't have a smart phone and not up to snuff on pictures, etc. It seems if I could just reset it. apparently the computer is not reading the printer.

Reset it by unplugging it while it is On, from the power. Unplug from the computer also, if it is connected.

Then, let it sit for an hour (or half an hour at least, if you lack time.)

Then only after that time, plug it in only to the power. Try it again.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It still says "door open". Guess I did damage the printer.

Possibly.

Can I advise you further? e.g. if you want to replace the printer instead of repairing it, there are options that HP (and only HP) offers for disposing of your printer, such as turning it in for case, a return for value toward a new HP printer, etc.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I would like your advice. Especially since I didn't plan on breaking my wonderful printer which I just bought new toner for.

You pulled out some card stock stuck in the machine.

You pulled it out with pliers. You say you pulled it out 'forward', and 'over the top', and I'm not sure what that means.

But the area the card stock was stuck in, and how you removed it, and the rollers and doors or swinging parts in that area, is crucial to the solution of the problem if there is one to be done.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I've had this printer for ten years and never knew the back opened. I finally got it off but that didn't
help. How much do I owe you or am I on the free seven day trial., In which case, I have to cancel my subscription. Can I do that?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I pulled the card out of the printer from the front. I couldn't quite reach it with my fingers so I used pliers to grab the card. I've printed lots of cards with this printer

I'm not sure what your subscription status is, or your free trial status.

Nor what you can do with it, dependent upon that status. I have no power nor access to such matters.

I must refer you to Customer Support at JustAnswer.com, which handles all such matters.

Please inquire to them at

***@******.***

for all such concerns.

OK... I think I understand a little better, thanks, ***** ***** what happened. Pulling it out with pliers suggested to me that you pulled it forcibly. I assumed that, but I realize I should ask: was that the case?