John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

The 74 HP replacement ink cartridge will not "click in" to

Customer Question

The 74 HP replacement ink cartridge will not "click in" to place.
I have a HP Photosmart C4400 All-in-One series printer.
First trouble I've had in many, many years.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I hope I can help with the problem.

There are several possibilities.

First, something may have come loose, in the cartridge bay (the space where the cartridge fits.) And that something that came loose, may project into the space the cartridge occupies, keeping it from seating properly.

Second, something that latches the cartridge in place and holds it down, may be broken off. Keeping it from staying in its place and causing it to pop out again.

And third, you might have a cartridge that something has gone wrong with.

For the first, examine the cartridge bay for any extraneous material inside it, anything loose in it.

For the second, examine the latching means, e.g. for another cartridge taken out also.

And compare.

For the third, examine the cartridge, or try to fit a different cartridge into that space temporarily. But you've done that already - even the old cartridge won't go in.

How does it look to you? let me know, please.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Can't find any damage to cartridge (it's new, just out of the package) and I don't see any visible damage to the cartridge space. Old and new cartridges seem quite similar.

Then the cartridge isn't at fault.

Can you take a different color of cartridge out of its proper space, and re-insert it there, and not have it click out of place again?