Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I have an HP f4480 and it won't respond. Once plugged up,

Customer Question

Hello I have an HP f4480 and it won't respond. Once plugged up, the power light turns on and the attention light turns solid orange. Also, it i want to turn the printer off, I have to unplug it. It won't respond by pressing the Power button
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and has turning it on been a problem in the past?
Customer: I've never had a problem printing. It's an HP F4480 printer.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Ive unplugged the power cord and left it unplugged for days. I've tried deleting the settings from my mac ( which I think I accidentally deleted the drivers because I can no longer fin my printer in my preferences),
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: I've also check the cords
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.

Sorry to hear that you’re having trouble with this but I’ll do my best to help you out.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or logic board. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear, as a 2009 model, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising as this machine was designed and built for only a 3 year service life.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation

unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; at that point it is time for a new printer. While it can be fixed, it is not practical to do so. You'd be in the $150 range to have the internal power supply replaced, and a logic board would run you $200-250. For $50-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I;ve previously done the hard reset. I still got no response
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.

I know you've unplugged it, but this is a specific process of steps to follow, if you have not done this exact process, please follow through it now.

If it still has the same issue, the printer needs to be replaced at this point. It is at well over double its designed maximum lifespan and for one of the most basic model printers HP made, has greatly exceeded any value that could be reasonably expected of it.

If looking for a replacement, I’d recommend any of the Epson workforce series printers. They tend to be very reliable, are easy to set up and use, have good print quality, and reasonably priced ink. Example: http://amzn.to/29wF4OP or http://amzn.to/1NYUF1P

Note that these, like all consumer grade inkjet printers, are designed to be low cost and are essentially disposable after a few years, subsidized by the high cost of ink cartridges. If you wish to have a better quality and longer lasting printer, that comes with years worth of ink up front, consider the Epson ecotank models instead: http://amzn.to/1PpOj0C

Alternately, for a more business/commercial grade product that will be rated for a 5 year life, consider a laser printer. Lasers cost more up front also, but a toner cartridge can last for thousands of pages. A black only all in one laser is around $125: http://amzn.to/1JSHOlQ

while a color model is about twice that: http://amzn.to/1n4I7Q5

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service using the stars at the top of the page; hopefully I have earned 5 Stars. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
also How do i re-add the HP drivers to my iMac?
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.

The drivers are irrelevant at this point if the printer is not functional and won't power on/off.

But you would download the latest drivers from HP to reinstall: http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Deskjet-F4400-All-in-One-Printer-series/3742084/model/3742085/drivers

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I thought you said the cost was $5
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.

No, you pay a deposit of $5 to post your question, the remaining amount, which you would have agreed to at several points during the payment process, is higher and that balance is charged upon corresponding with an expert. For comparison purposes, keep in mind that had you gone to a repair shop or had a tech out, you'd be paying $100+ for the exact same answer.

--

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.

Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. I apologize this is not the outcome you had hoped for, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. Rating 1 or 2, or not rating at all, does not produce a refund, it only penalizes me for trying to help.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I was under the assumption this was $5 and would like a refund for the difference
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.

I'm not able to control the amount, it is a fixed fee based on what you agreed to during the payment process.

If you wish to not pay, that has the unfortunate effect of forcing me to work for free to help you.

You would contact customer service from the help page for that request.

Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.

.

Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, simply reply back on this page.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.