John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.

I have a Sharp UX-1400 fax machine. I keep getting "Paper

Customer Question

I have a Sharp UX-1400 fax machine. I keep getting "Paper Jammed" messages when there is no paper I can find anywhere in the machine. I also got a "Document Jammed" message when I tried to send a fax. I really need a source for a user manual as well as to solve this problem.
JA: What's the make and model of the printer?
Customer: Sharp UX-1400 Multifunction fax machine. Plain paper with carbon roll printing medium.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Opened every panel looking for paper jam. Tried to put fewer papers in document feed slot. Took printer roll out and put it back in. Unplugged and replugged. Can't find any paper bits in the machine to take out to solve the jam message. I really need a user manual, but can't find one.
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: What will this cost me?
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Printer Technician. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.
Customer: Okay.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

The exact manual is hard to find. This might possible be near enough to be of some slight use:

A persistent paper jam message can be quite mysterious and annoying. I hope I can help with it.

One thing that is not always tried is:

- turn Off the fax machine, and unplug it from the power also.

- leave it that way for 15 minutes or longer, to cool off and reset thoroughly.

- only at the end of that time, plug it in again, turn it On, and see if the error is cleared.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It cleared and fed me a stored receipt, but immediately showed Paper Jammed.

This link seems to lead to a UX-1400 user manual from a fairly reputable source:

Try consulting that one, see if it reveals a way of examining the paper path for scraps of paper, even, that might well be triggering the jam message. All it takes, in my prolonged experience, is one small scrap of paper stuck in a sensor, for a machine to be jammed up and inoperative. (Tearing paper while removing it, is inadvisable for this reason.)