Electronics Pete
Electronics Pete, Engineer
Experience:  HNC Computing; Large format and multifunction printer expert
30970729

My MFC-J6910DW shows "Connection: OK" on the WLAN report and

Customer Question

My MFC-J6910DW shows "Connection: OK" on the WLAN report and my MacBook Pro has a full strength WiFi signal and printer is listed correctly in System Preferences but the Printer dialogue box indicates that the printer is not connected. What should I do?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Electronics Pete replied 4 months ago.

My name is***** will try my best to help you with your question.

Did the printer work ok previously, or are you setting it up for the first time?

I haven't heard back from you yet - please reply and let me know if you still need assistance with this.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Yes, it has worked on a very few occasions.

What have you tried so far? Have you uninstalled and reinstalled the printer using the latest driver from the Brother website?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

No - I'll try this out when I am next at my office next Wednesday.

Ok, let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

Hi- I tried installing driver updates, reconnected the WLAN and received a printed message from the printer telling that the connection was okay and also connected via USB cable and printed a document correctly.

I unpacked a new iMac today and after I have migrated my files from the MacBook Pro, I will try printing via WiFi. I will not be in the office until Friday and even then mayn't be in a position to fire up the new iMac so I may not be able to report back to you until the middle of next week.

Expert:  Electronics Pete replied 3 months ago.

Ok, glad to hear it is working so far!! :)

Best,

Pete.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

But Pete, it's not working using WiFi - it's only woking when connected by a cable.

As I mentioned I'll try again with another computer and get back to you.

Ah ok, I thought it was working by wifi when you said " also connected via USB "

Let me know how it goes later today.

Pete.

I notice you haven't rated my service yet..
Do you need any further assistance?

Pete.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.

Hello again Pete,

I haven't been able to tryout connecting to the printer on my new iMac as there were technical issues regarding wi-fi. These have now been resolved having found that the signal strength in the office where both the iMac and the Brother printer is located is close to -70 Dbm resulting in intermittent packet drop outs. This probably accounts for the failure of wi-fi communication between the computers located in my office and the Brother printer. The signal strength at my Cisco router is -26 Dbm and half way between it and my office it is -56Dbm.

I'm now waiting on a long R6 rated data cable to allow me to try temporally moving the router closer to the office in the hope that permanent reinstallation there will solve the problem which prompted me to contact you in the first place.

When I've completed this test I'll contact you further.... John