comp_audio, Technician
Experience:  I offer over 20 years experience in diagnosing and fixing home and business printers. I am eager to assist you today.

I have an error message 6A00 and have tried unplugging it,

Customer Question

I have an error message 6A00 and have tried unplugging it, turning it on and off. The printer head is able to move. I have cleaned the two absorbant plates on the right hand side of the printer head and the sponge beneath the carriage
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact make and model of your machine?
Customer: Canon MP970
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: everything that it will allow me to do - it is flashing alternately blue then orange and does not let me do anything.
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: will it cost me anything?
Category: Printers
Expert:  comp_audio replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to assist you today. Please give me a minute to find the information for you. Thanks for your patience.

Just to start with please take a look at this video and watch it through to the end. I know it is not the exact model, but it might be a clue that possibly it is not clean enough yet. I will still be sending you some other things to try.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i have tried the suggestions in the video, - it looks like the 'sponge' doesn't move towards the front of the printer as in the video.I guess it will need taking to a service engineer to look at.

I am guessing that may be the case. How long have you owned this printer? It is possible it is still under warranty if not too long. If you get me the serial number I can look it up for you and let you know.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
umm had it about 4 years or maybe longer, so no warranty!

Ah, yes, if it's that old then unless you purchased extended warranties along the way there is not much that can be done on that front.

However, to take it into a shop to have it repaired will most likely cost more than replacing the printer itself. For example here is a HP - ENVY 5660 Wireless e-All-In-One Printer that cost $99 at Best Buy and is great for all around printing.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
thanks for your help.

It has been my pleasure to have assisted you today. If you appreciate my service, please Accept my answer and rate it EXCELLENT by clicking the 5 Stars and Submit. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!

Was there something I am missing or did you have any other questions for me?