Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable

Did all that you told me to do but it doesn't ask me any

Customer Question

Did all that you told me to do but it doesn't ask me any questions
Category: Printers
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ting to erase memory, and followed your instructions but fax/printer is not asking any questions when done and also printer is not printing well
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

(I regret that I am not able to offer Live Phone Call service at this time; However, your request is still open to other Experts in this category, and one of them may pick up on it at any time. And I thought you needed some initial help, before someone picks up on the phone call request.)

It sounds as if you have a fax/printer with a 'MEMORY FULL' error message condition.

It also seem that you have consulted someone about the problem before this and received some advice. I can find no record of any JustAnswer case that you opened, so I'm not sure what was already done for this.

Please Reply To Expert and let me know what the status is, e.g. the 'not printing well', and what the maker and model of the printer is. Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I had to leave house right now for an appointment, I would rather have some one call me, because I have other issues with the printer also
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Please let me know your answer

OK. I'll resume this case whenever you have time. (I have to know what maker and model # the fax/printer is, before I can offer any answer likely to be correct.) Later is fine. Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok, thanks, ***** ***** a brother printer/copy, scan and fax machine, mfc 465cn

Thank you for the information. I will research the details for a 'memory full' error on that model now.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok, thank you

Try this settings change, so that faxes are sent in 'real time':

Press the Fax button.
Press up-arrow or down-arrow to choose Real Time TX.
Press OK.
Press up-arrow or down-arrow to choose On.
Press OK.

If the Memory Full error is persistent, or appears to be stopping transmission of a scanned-in to-be-faxed document, even after that settings change, note the symptoms and let me know them, at your leisure and convenience, please.

As for poor print quality - or whatever problem there is with printing - please let me know whether it is

a. print quality

b. ability to print

c. error message or indicator lights, if any.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will try that when I get back home

OK. (Thanks for letting me know.)

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Russell, it's Lorraine, tried the real time thing you told me about and it is still not printing. It says, poor line condition/out of memory and the printing is of poor quality, btw, I'm back home now

OK. I'm sorry to hear that.

Do you know how to do a Head Cleaning on your Brother machine? or perhaps it is called a Printhead Cleaning. It is an operation that can be ordered either from the printer's menus, or from the computer attached to the printer (if there is such a computer.)

Try ordering one, waiting 20 minutes with the printer unused but still turned On, and then ordering another be done, then seeing if the print quality has improved.

As for 'poor line condition'... that's different. What phone line service do you have? landline/POTS/ordinary phone service, or digital/UVerse/Comcast/digital/VoIP/Vonage/MagicJack ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How do I order one from my computer or my printer and how do I do the memory

The error message you received may not be about memory at all.

Does the fax refuse to send? if so you may have a problem on your phone line.

In which case... well, please tell me what your phone line service type is, so that I can advise you accurately and according to your actual phone line type.

As for ordering a printhead cleaning cycle:

on the printer, press the INK button, or the INK MAINTENANCE button.

Press the UP OR DOWN ARROW key to choose Test Print and

press OK.

Press the UP OR DOWN ARROW key to choose Print Quality and

press OK.

Press Color (Colour) Start. The Print Quality Check page should print.

Then, look at the four colors of blocks you will see on the page. The four colors of ink in the printer.

The printer will ask you, whether the print quality is OK for black?

Then it will ask about the other colors after that.

Then after that, it will ask about whether to

Start Cleaning ? Yes/No.

Press up arrow, or 1, or +, to select YES and the printhead cleaning will start and run for a few minutes.

Then press COLOR START, and another print quality page will print. Compare the two.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok, it is cleaning now, I will try cleaning again in 20 minutes, I have verizon for phone, and computer

OK, good.

Do you use the phone line for voice calls also?

If not, contact your phone service provider (Verizon) and ask them to do a line noise check for your phone number, owing to your faxing over that phone line having had problems. This is a service that they will gladly perform, since it helps alert them to problems with phone line service quality in your switching region; there ought to be no charge for it; and, if they find noise or static, they will fix it.

That may fix the printer's problem.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will call verizon, in the meantime, the cleaning went well and now my pages are printing very good now. So, thanks for that and I will get back to you after I speak with them

OK! good to hear that.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Get back to you soon

I will await your next message.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Called verizon and they did a line test and said everything is good, still need to know how to empty out the memory on the fax and printer, thanks

If memory is full, does faxing out now work?

It should, what with the settings change, that orders the printer to not try to scan into memory any more.

Sometimes these memory full errors are hard to get rid of.

But if you will tell me exactly and in full what the screen on your printer says, it might help me find a way to clear that error.

(I have assumed it was a general 'bad line or scanning memory' error. But I might be wrong... that's why I'm double-checking.)

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Poor line connection/memor is full
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Memory, sorry

To cancel fax jobs scanned into memory:

- On the printer's controls, press MENU, then press

2 (Fax), then press

7 (Remaining Jobs).

- Your Brother machine's LCD will display the number of print jobs waiting to be sent.

- If there are no jobs in memory, the LCD will read "No Jobs Waiting."

Press the UP OR DOWN ARROW key to scroll through the waiting jobs.

Press the OK key to select the job you want to cancel.

Press 1 to cancel the job.

Press the STOP/EXIT key.

How does that work? what do you see?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will try it and get back to you

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.