John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.

Only half the black ink lines are being printed. I am about

Customer Question

Hello. only half the black ink lines are being printed. I am about to clean the print head to see whether that will solve the problem.
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: About 1 week
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Deep clean, general clean and a new ink cartridge
JA: What is the exact make and model of your printer? And what kind of cartridges are you using?
Customer: Canon iP3500 and I am using non Canon cartridges
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: Have always used these cartridges for at least 4 years and no problems
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide

the right answer to your question.

It's a severe problem, I'm sorry to hear about it, and I'd like to help with it, if I can.
The printhead may be clogged. If that is how it turns out, the printhead would have to be repaired. However, there are things to try and points to consider, before coming to such conclusion.

I think you should try a certain cleaning procedure that I have found effective, first.

In outline:

1. Clean the (black) printhead.

2. Wait 1/2 hour to several hours or overnight, leaving the printer On but unused (no print jobs, etc.)

This allows waste ink to soak into the printhead and hopefully dissolve dried ink etc.

3. Clean the printhead a second time.

4. Wait again (as in step 2 above) for 1/2 hr. to several hrs., printer On but unused.

5. Clean the printhead a third time.

Then test whether black ink is showing up at all in prints at this point. If it is, even faintly, then repeating this procedure will (eventually, at the cost of a certain amount of ink wasted in the process) clear up the clogged printhead.

After that fails, if it does fail, what you need to do is to decide whether replacing the printhead (which will cost something considerable, more than you would think usually) is better, given the printer's age, or whether it would be more preferable for you to replace the printer altogether with a new one (and hopefully recycle the old printer, always a good idea.)

So try the triple-cleaning-with-wait-times that I recommended, and get back to me if it doesn't work for you (so I can advise you further...)... or if it does help (- I always like to hear that something I recommended has worked!)

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will give it a try before re-cycling

By all means do try it... it often gets printers that seem to be hopeless cases, into working order again.

(How old is the printer? it sounds like an older model, but I cannot be quite sure.)

Also, if you have been using 'compatible', or non-standard ink supplies, that might be a factor. Trying using ink that is OEM-standard for your printer maker, could help.