databank876, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 20 years experience with computers.

It is sucking up extra pages. Months. Nothing aside from

Customer Question

It is sucking up extra pages.
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: Months.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Nothing aside from loading only one sheet of paper at a time into the tray.
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Brother MFC-J4700W, it is not quite one year old.
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: nope.
Category: Printers
Expert:  databank876 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and good morning.

I know how frustrating it is to have a printer take up more than one sheet when a printing job is being carried out. I once a MFC-3500 that did the same thing. What I realized is that some of the papers were stuck together due to the compact ream packing.

The simple way of fixing the problem is by flexing the sheets in different directions before placing them in the printer. That means bending and twisting them up, down, crossways, right, and left. Hold either end of the papers with both hands and bend the papers as if you were trying to break them. Do these movements for about 30 seconds and then put them in the printer. Be careful not to soil or crease them in the process.

Try printing again. You should now be ok.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have tried bending the paper every which way and this doesn't seem to help. I think it has something to do with the rollers or other mechanisms that are responsible for picking up the paper.

Yes, the pickup rollers could also be at failt. The most likely cause is that they need to be cleaned. Click here to see how you can clean them.