Sudipto, Engineer
Experience:  DIploma in Computer Hardware

Printing is ok but scanning and copying does not work

Customer Question

Printing is ok but scanning and copying does not work anymore. I am 99% sure it is because the machanism (light bar) does not move any more.
JA: What is the machine's exact make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Brother MFC 8460N
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Turned on/off, go through all menu options, look at the mechanism that wants to move but does not, listen to it trying to move but cannot.
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: I would like to fix it myself since the machine is old and I don't want to spend tons of money. Maybe I need a part. I am pretty handy. Just need to know if it makes sense to open the machine and IF so, are there any isntructions.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for posting your question on, a global paid independent support site.My Name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. As you want to repair the printer at home, I can help you to get a service manual for the printer, you can take apart the printer following the steps on the manual and then, you can get the part from any online spare parts store, but the main problem is the cost, because you may see a small gear is broken and replace that would solve the problem, but you will not get that gear anywhere, you have to buy the complete assembly for that and the cost of the assembly may cross the price of a new printer.

I am giving three links below, one for the service manual, other for the parts manual and the last one for the spare parts store.Please let me know, if you need any further information otherwise please remember to give a positive rating, as that is the only way I am compensated for my time and effort.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello Sudipto, Thanks for the information. I guess I chewed off too much. I have the machine open but there is no obvious problem like a broken gear or belt or even motor. Any thoughts?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I put the machine back together. Same thing. When copying or scanning, no matter with document feeder or putting paper on the glass, the CCD keeps "wanting" to move. It moves about 1/8" every second but every time it returns to its starting position. I had hoped it was a simply misalignment or something but obviously that is not the case. Any thoughts?
Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 months ago.

If you are not getting any error message on the printer and print without any problem then, most probably the control board of the scanner seems to be defective, because if it is a mechanical problem, you will get a error message on the printer and cannot print from the PC, replacing the control board and buying a new printer is same, because cost will be same in both cases, unfortunately.