Md. Sadique
Md. Sadique, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics engineer with 7+ years of experience in repairing office equipments & printers
22727371

Cannot clear paper jam notice paper feeds through when I

Customer Question

cannot clear paper jam notice paper feeds through when I hold cancel button but it wont print
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: dell c1660w
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: open back cover but there is no paper to remove hold down cancel button paper feeds through but still says jam
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: no
Category: Printers
Expert:  Isaac Franklin replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Please follow this article:

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/474190/Dell-C1660w-Color-Laser-Print.html?page=208

Then: Open the tray and cover. Look out for any paper inside the cover.

Close the cover and tray firmly. Then check for a test page.

This can happen with even a piece of paper so small, it will be hard to see. Even a corner/edge of paper will throw that error.

Unplug printer, wait 1 minute. Plug back in and see if it gives you an error. If it does, you can reset the defaults:

1 Click Start

All Programs

Tool Box.

The Tool Box opens.

2 Click the Printer Maintenance tab.

3 Select Reset Defaults from the list at the left side of the page.

The Reset Defaults page is displayed.

4 Click Start.

The printer restarts automatically to apply the settings.

If that doesnt work, let me know.

If you are satisfied with the help I have provided, please remember to click and submit a 5 star rating on this page. Your feedback is important as it is the only way I am credited for assisting you. Thank you.
~Franklin

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have tried all those things. I have the manual you referred me to and followed the steps prior to contacting you. I cannot get the tool box to open and there fore cannot reset the default. When I hold down the cancel button as recommended, paper feeds through from tray but it still says paper jam. I have unplugged printer, and restarted but error 077-900 (Paper jam) stilll comes up.

Okay, i will open this up for another expert to see if they have more advice.

Expert:  Md. Sadique replied 4 months ago.

The most common and likely cause to this type of problem is either some foreign object/paper dust is stuck in the paper feed or printer, or the paper sensor in the feed tray has become dirty or defective.

Turn Off the printer, unplug it from the power as well as from computer completely.Then remove all paper from the paper feed unit and blow it out with compressed air a few times. With a flashlight look inside the paper feed to ensure there is nothing obstructing the paper feed mechanism down inside the printer where it is not easily seen.

Next, take moistened Q-tips and clean the rubber rollers in the automatic sheet feeder using it. Then blow some compressed air inside the printer as well to remove excess dust and to dry the rollers.

Holding the printer in both hands , turn it upside down and gently shake it for a few seconds to see if anything falls out of the paper feed area.

Then plug the printer back up and replace it with a fresh, small stack (about 5 pages) of paper.Then try to print again.

If still it doesn't helps then as a last resort you can try forcing a thick paper or fold a A4 piece of paper in half, and then by hand push it through the machine, hopefully this may push any objects out.

After that turn the printer OFF, when it is on, by unplugging it from the power source.
Then unplug it from the computer and leave it that way for 10 minutes. Then replace everything back.

Tell me how it goes!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have tried everything you suggested except resetting to default as I cannot open the tool box, and still the notification "paper jam" shows. I do not know how to rate you as my problem has not been solved. All advice given was available to me either in the manual (which I have) or online for free. Will I be charged if my problem was not resolved?

I think some paper dust or remnants from the jam stuck in the the registration sensor area.
Please click this link to see the registration sensor: http://media.community.dell.com/en/communityserver.components.imagefileviewer/CommunityServer/Components/PostAttachments/00/19/43/68/45/Regi-Sensor.JPG-500x400.jpg?m=634419998264654425

Push the regi-sensor positioner up & down and get the display to change from L to H to L, continuously, then you've cleared the jam.

Tell me how it goes!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I could not find anything that looked like this "regi-sensor". I tried once again to clean all parts and there is no paper visible anywhere. Possibly it is somewhere that I cannot see.
Regarding resetting to default: When I try to open the tool box a screen comes up that says select printer. I do and nothing happens. The manual says that clicking on the correct printer the tool box will open. Well, it does not. So I cannot try the reset.

How old is your printer?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Purchased October 2014

I am sorry to say it indicates some parts inside the printer has dislodged or broke. The printer needs to be disassembled completely and thoroughly diagnosed to identify the faulty part.

This is a very common problem. If you tell me your city name I will recommend a cheap and good repair shop.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have a local tech coming to look at it tomorrow. So I guess this is all you can do for me. As the problem was not resolved by you will I still be charged?

I will request a refund for you.

Thank You!