TheGeekGal
TheGeekGal,
76665483

Ihave a Canon mX922. It is not printing the entire page

Customer Question

Ihave a Canon mX922. It is not printing the entire page correctly. Parts of the printing are blurry or smudgy and cannot be read. I have changed the black cartridges, and this is not the problem.
Category: Printers
Expert:  TheGeekGal replied 9 months ago.

Good morning Sue! My name is***** am a computer professional with over 15 years of experience with both Mac and Windows computers, phones, tablets, and printers. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I signed out because I do not want a free trial. I do want an answer from you and you can go into my computer. What do I do next?

The most common solution for this problem is cleaning the encode strip on your Canon MX922.

The timing strip is a clear, plastic strip approximately 1/4" in height positioned horizontally across the center of the unit, just in front of the carriage drive belt. The timing strip contains many thin black vertical lines that help determine the carriage position during operation.

During certain uncommon tasks such as the removal of a paper jam, it is possible to inadvertently touch a lubricated area on the printer's chassis causing a small amount of grease to be deposited onto the timing strip. Here's how to do it:

1. Holding the sides of the paper output tray, gently open it.
  2. Open the document cover.
    The Print Head Holder (carriage) will move to ink changing (center) position.
  3. Open the ink cover.
  4. With the ink cover open, unplug the power cord from the wall outlet or power strip. Be sure the printer's power LED is no longer illuminated.
  5. When you move the print head holder, hold the top of the print head holder and slide it slowly to the right edge or the left edge. This will allow you to easily slide the carriage left to right. Gently slide the carriage to the right side.
  6. Using a flashlight, carefully inspect the timing strip for grease that may have attached to the timing strip. It is helpful to view the timing strip from several angles as even a small amount of grease can impact print quality. Note: The timing strip is a clear strip located in front of the carriage drive belt.
  7. Moisten the cotton swab with Isopropyl alcohol and carefully remove the grease from the timing strip. To prevent further spreading of grease, be careful not to touch the chassis or other areas inside the unit which may contain grease from the factory.

Note: If Isopropyl Alcohol is not available, you may use window cleaner solution.

Important: Do not remove the grease on the chassis (metal rail).
  8. Once you have confirmed that the left and center portions of the timing strip are clean, gently slide the carriage all the way to the left.
  9. Repeat steps 4 & 5 for inspecting the right side of the timing strip until is completely free of grease and other matter.
  10. Gently close the ink cover, then close the document cover.
  11. Reconnect the power cord and power on the printer. (The indicator light blinks steadily while the printer initializes.) Note: After the printer is powered back on, you will receive a message on the printer's display that the printer was not properly turned off. Tap OKto clear the message and return the printer to standby mode.
  12. Confirm operation of the unit by printing a text document and photograph. Printing this document is a good test since it contains text and images. If print quality is still poor, repeat the above steps.

Please give this a try and let me know how it works for you. If this solves the problem, would you mind taking a moment to rate my service? I'd really appreciate it! Without a rating I am not credited for my answer. If this doesn't resolve the problem, please let me know so I can guide you through other troubleshooting procedures. The next thing we should do is to run a complete cleaning cycle. I can offer detailed instructions, or if you'd like, I can perform these steps for you while you watch via the Premium Service of Secure Remote Assistance. This is completely optional. If you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and work on the issue for you. If you do not choose to take this service, but need more help, we can continue here.

The free trial is entirely optional. there is no need to sign up for it.

Cleaning the Print Heads from Your Computer
The print head cleaning function allows you to clear up clogged print head nozzle. Perform print headcleaning if printing is faint or a specific color fails to print, even though there is enough ink.
The procedure for cleaning the print head is as follows:
Cleaning
1. Open the printer driver setup window
2. Click Cleaning on the Maintenance tab
When the Print Head Cleaning dialog box opens, select the ink group for which cleaning is to be performed.
Click Initial Check Items to display the items you need to check before performing cleaning.
3. Execute cleaning
Make sure that the machine is on and then click Execute.
Print head cleaning starts.
Important
• Do not close the paper output tray until the cleaning is complete.
Complete cleaning
The Nozzle Check dialog box opens after the confirmation message.
Check the results
To check whether the print quality has improved, click Print Check Pattern. To cancel the check process, click Cancel.
If cleaning the head once does not resolve the print head problem, clean it once more.
Important
• Cleaning consumes a small amount of ink.
Cleaning the print head frequently will rapidly deplete your printer's ink supply. Consequently, perform cleaning only when necessary.
Deep Cleaning
Deep Cleaning is more thorough than cleaning. Perform deep cleaning when two Cleaning attempts do not resolve the print head problem.
1. Open the printer driver setup window
2. Click Deep Cleaning on the Maintenance tab
When the Deep Cleaning dialog box opens, select the ink group for which deep cleaning is to be performed.
Click Initial Check Items to display the items you need to check before performing deep cleaning.
3. Execute deep cleaning
Click OK when the confirmation message appears.
Print head deep cleaning starts.
Important
• Do not close the paper output tray until the deep cleaning is complete.
Complete deep cleaning
Check the results
Important
• Deep Cleaning consumes a larger amount of ink than Cleaning.
Note
• If there is no sign of improvement after Deep Cleaning, switch off the machine, wait 24 hours, and then perform Deep Cleaning again. If there is still no sign of improvement, the ink may have run out or the print head may be worn. For details on the remedial action to be taken, see "Ink Is Not Ejected."