Thomas
Thomas, Technician
Experience:  Ready to assist with your printer questions
62924203

Brother hl 5370 saying printer error and nothing seems to be

Customer Question

brother hl 5370 saying printer error and nothing seems to be wrong with the printer all green
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Brother is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: hl5370 approximately 8 years old
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: restarted, checking for jams, checked the wires, switched the usb port - made sure it was default
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: and reset
Category: Printers
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 months ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help!

Sorry about your printer troubles. Tell me, what operating system is on your computer?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
windows 7
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 months ago.

Ok, go into Devices and Printers, right click on the printer that's giving the problem, and select 'Remove Device'. Once its gone, unplug it from the computer and plug it into a different USB port. It should attempt to reinstall. Afterward, see if you can print. Let me know if this works or if it doesn't.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it did not work, it still says print error
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 months ago.

Do the status lights on the printer indicate any problem?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no the status is green
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 months ago.

Download and install a fresh driver, let me know if you have the same result: http://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadtop.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=hl5370dw_us

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok do i need to uninstall the previous driver or just download now
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
there are two options - full driver and software package or just the driver
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 months ago.

No need to uninstall, I would get the full driver.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i installed the full driver, it still says printer error
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 months ago.

Is this the only printer you have?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it is the only one close by - could it just be old and worn and need a new one
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 months ago.

I was just curious if you had another installed if it would print. Having a hard time deciding if its a printer problem or computer. Where do you see 'printer error'?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
on the printers and devices > on brother, it says printer error, when i click whats printing it also says printer error there
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 months ago.

Ok.

At this point I can offer a premium service called 'remote assistance' and diagnose the problem myself. This will help me determine whether or not it is a problem with the computer or the printer itself. If it is a problem with the computer I will most likely be able to fix it. Of course if its something in the printer I won't be able too. Its up to you whether or not to accept, and keep in mind that its a 50/50 shot. Please review the offer and let me know what you decide.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no thanks i will just buy a new one, thank you though.
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 months ago.

Try one more thing, just for the fun of it.

Click start, you should see 'Computer'. Right click on that and click Properties. Click Device Manager on the left. Click the little arrow next to 'Universal Serial Bus Controllers' to expand it. Find 'USB Print Support', right click on that and uninstall it. Once its gone, restart the computer and see if you can print.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it did not print - it says a print job in the print que is preventing other print jobs, it does look like two print jobs on there but i only clicked print once
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 months ago.

There should be a little printer icon down by the clock in the bottom right hand corner, double click on it, right click on those print jobs and cancel them. Once the que is empty, try again.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i tried printing and the looked onthe icon and it said error printing
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i noticed it says printer is off line
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 months ago.

It isn't seeing it then, as if the cable is unplugged. Do you have a different cable?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it didnt work thank you. I will buy a new one. thanks
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 months ago.

Yeah, it isn't communicating to the computer if it says offline, unfortunately. If you've already tried a different USB port, there must be something wrong in the printer itself.

Have a great week!