John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.

My printer screen keeps saying that i need to install a

Customer Question

my printer screen keeps saying that i need to install a printhead. i have had this printer for 4 years and recently changed to ink.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Bhavik Joshi replied 2 months ago.

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer,

Please try below instruction and let me know if this worked

Remove the cartridges, set them aside on their sides, remove the printhead, and (with the printer Off and unplugged) clean, with cotton swabs moistened in rubbing alcohol, the electrical contacts on the side of the printhead, and the corresponding contacts in the printer where the printhead is mounted.
Then allow 5 minutes drying time, then put the printhead back in the printer (without cartridges, as yet) and lock it down. Then provide power to the printer again and turn it On if it doesn't turn itself On.
The printer may complain about missing cartridges, that's fine under the circumstances. Hopefully it will not complain about the printhead at this point, in which case you may have a working printer again.