Sudipto, Engineer
Experience:  DIploma in Computer Hardware
15197395

XP-420: consitent message that need to change printer

Customer Question

XP-420: consitent message that need to change printer cartridges---have opened 3 w/o luck & have ink on my fingers.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Sudipto replied 7 months ago.

Thanks for posting your question on Justanswer.com, a global paid independent support site.My Name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. Ink on your fingers means the nozzles are working and the as you said that your printer is unable to detect the cartridges, it means the chip on the printhead or the cartridges is not working, but as you have replaced three cartridges and got the same error code, it means the problem is with the printhead and not with the cartridges. If you have got this same problem with the old cartridge also then, it is confirmed that the printhead chip is defective or dirty. Now, as the printhead of the printer is not a user replaceable part, you may have to send the printer to any repair shop for the printhead replacement, only if the printer is more than one-year-old otherwise, Epson will replace it free of cost.

But, before you replace the printer, please try the steps below at your home and check the result. Let me know if you need any further information or help otherwise please remember to give a positive rating, as that is the only way, I am compensated for my time and effort.

Remove the cartridges.

Keep them on a paper towel.

Now, clean the contacts inside the printer on the printhead with a cotton swab and IP alcohol, until no ink residue comes off .

Dry the contacts with compressed air.

Reseat the cartridge.

Check the printer for the error code.