GeekGal, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  MIS degree and 15+ years experience with both Mac and Windows hardware & software

I have a Canon MX320 printer. The following message has

Customer Question

I have a Canon MX320 printer. The following message has appeared: "The ink absorber is almost full. Press the printer's O.K. button to continue printing. Contact the service center." Questions: What/where is this ink absorber? How do I empty it or replace it?What/where is this service center? Your advice will be much appreciated.
Michael Cain
Category: Printers
Expert:  GeekGal replied 2 months ago.

Hi Michael! My name is***** am a computer professional with over 15 years of experience with both Mac and Windows computers, phones, tablets, and printers. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this.

Canon printers use small, spongy pads to absorb excess ink that accumulates while printing and cleaning the print heads. When these pads are saturated, the printer will notify you with an error message such as "Ink Absorber Full." Some models display a series of flashing lights that you must consult the user manual to decipher. Although you can easily remove and clean the pads on most Canon printers, this is not considered to be a user serviceable part and the recommended procedure by Canon is to take it in for service.

If you'd like to try cleaning it yourself, please follow these steps:

Step 1

Fill a large bowl with warm, soapy water and set it aside. Put on the rubber gloves.

Step 2

Open the ink cartridge compartment. Depending on your Canon printer model, this compartment may be in the front or the back of the machine.

Step 3

Wait for the ink cartridges to move all the way over, then disconnect the printer's power cord.

Step 4

Look for a black rubber frame under the ink cartridge assembly. This contains the ink absorbing pads.

Step 5

Pull the rubber frame out of the printer and remove the ink absorbing pads. The number of pads varies by model.

Step 6

Place the pads in the bowl. Rub and squeeze them to remove the ink. When the water becomes opaque with ink, discard the solution and refill the bowl with more warm, soapy water. Continue this procedure until all ink is removed from the pads.

Step 7

Squeeze the excess water from the pads and place them on a stack of three or four paper towels to dry.

Step 8

Check the pads every hour to determine if they are dry. If the paper towels become saturated, change them out.

Step 9

Place the pads back in the rubber frame when they are completely dry. Reinstall the frame in the printer.

Step 10

Press and hold the "Power" button and reconnect the power cord. When the printer comes on, release the button. Wait five seconds and push the "Power" button again. This resets the printer's internal memory and overrides the "Ink Absorber Full" error code.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 2 months ago.

If you'd like to try a slightly less time consuming quick fix you can do the following:

1. Open the printer as though you were going to install new ink cartridges, letting the cartridge cradle move to the center of the printing unit. Unplug the printer so that the cartridges will remain in their position.

2 Locate the waste ink absorbers in their black rubber frame. They will likely be on the right side of your printer, and will be located underneath the area where the ink cartridges rest when the printer is in standby mode.

3 Use a paper napkin or other disposable and absorbent material to soak up any excess ink that may be in the pads by pressing it down onto the top of the frame.

4 Pull the rubber frame free from the printer, wearing gloves to keep your hands clean. Carefully remove the ink absorber pad or pads from the rubber frame.

5 Insert new ink absorber pads firmly into the rubber frame. Replace the rubber frame in its original position and close the printer.

6 Hold down the power button, then plug the printer back in. Continue holding the power button down until the printer begins to reset itself and come online.

7 Wait for the green power light to turn off, then press and release the power button again. It should blink for two to three seconds, then stay lit; this will indicate that the printer has been reset and is ready to print again without errors.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 2 months ago.

Please give one of these two methods a try and let me know how it works for you. If this solves the problem., would you mind taking a moment to rate my service? I'd really appreciate it! Without a rating I am not credited for my answer. If you need more help, please let me know so I can continue to assist you.