Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.

I have a canon mg6620. It says it does not recognize the ink

Customer Question

I have a canon mg6620. It says it does not recognize the ink cartridge. I bought this printer from Inkedibles. com and uses edible ink. I have used it for over a year with no problems..It does not recognize the large black ink. is there a reset button to over ride
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Angie.

You almost certainly have a bad cartridge, which is very common with the non oem inks. Before anything else, you should replace it with a new one and that will likely resolve the issue.

Otherwise, there are a few possible causes of this issue, including a bad cartridge, internal debris/contamination, or a hardware failure (bad printhead, bad logic board, faulty sensor, etc).

What we can try are some cleaning and reset steps.

First remove all of the ink cartridges, then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Dry well, then reseat the cartridges.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further if needed.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
well that didn't work..I have not had to change the cartridge,so it is not a new one and it is full of ink. It has worked up till now ..I printed with it yesterday
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

This is not a matter of the ink level, it is a matter of the cartridge either failing (the chip on it) or the sensor in the head.

Aftermarket inks are known for having high failure rates and they actually wear out the printhead about 3x faster than genuine ones. I know you are using special edible ones so you don't really have a choice, but it does still shorten the life of the printer significantly.

Did you go through the full cleaning process?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I did ...twice
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Have you tried replacing the black cartridge yet, and if not can you do so please?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't have a replacement cartridge
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Okay well that would really be the preferred next step here, especially when you're using generics.

That is the only way to further diagnose this, chance are it will work again (these cartridges have very high failure rates, even in use).

The alternative (or if it doesn't work) is buying a new printer, as it would indicate a faulty printhead, the cost of which is not worth repalacing, you'd spend as much to fix it as to buy a brand new pinter with a fresh warranty, and these printers are designed for a maximum 3 year service life, which again is cut drastically when using non oem inks too, so even if the printer only lasts a year in the situation you're using it in, that is all that can really be expected of it.

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?