Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

I have a MX870 3-in-one printer. I was performing the head

Customer Question

I have a MX870 3-in-one printer.I was performing the head alignment maintenance function. It was printing the alignment output. I heard a click and the printer stopped. The power went off, and I am no longer able to turn it back on - no lights, no nothing. I disconnected the power cord and waited 10 minutes. Still won't turn on. It is like it tripped an internal circuit breaker inside the printer. I double checked my power and yes, I have 122.1 volts.I am lost for solutions.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Robert M. replied 4 months ago.

I don't think you have many solutions. There is certainly not a circuit breaker in that unit. I don't even believe that there is a fuse. Most home printers these days don't even bother with a fuse. Its more likely the power supply is burnt. If it has a dc adapter as part of the power cord that might have gone. You can try testing if it is getting power at the end where it plugs into the printer.

The power supply is on page 58 of the service manual which you can get on this link

http://elektrotanya.com/canon_pixma_mx870_sm.pdf/download.html

You might be able to find one on ebay for about 30 bucks. But i couldnt find one that specifically said it was for that model. A few did look similar though.

I think that your best bet assuming the cord which is easily replaceable is not the problem and its not under warranty ( that is a year from purchase date) would be to have it repaired by a canon authorized place or just give it up and buy a new one.