Shefin, Printer and Office Equip. Specialist
Experience:  Working as tech support specialist with a worldwide computer manufacturer.
15907069

I have a B200 error on a PIXMA MX870. It says contact the

Customer Question

I have a B200 error on a PIXMA MX870. It says contact the service center.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Shefin replied 10 months ago.

Hello!

Thank you for your question. I am Shefin and I look forward to helping you with your issue today.

Please be informed that, B200 error means "Printhead temperature exceeded". It means that the printhead ink wells ran out of ink and the printing continued. Printing without ink in the wells OVERHEATED THE PRINTHEAD NOZZLES and potentially burned them out.

This can happen when the ink has run out and printing is continued, causing permanent damage to the nozzles.

Or the printhead voltage is abnormal because there is something wrong with the logic board, either way the printhead and logic board may need to be replaced to make the error go away.

However. I would suggest you try the following before doing any repair.

1. Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine. And remove the printhead too.

2. Turn off the printer and unplug all its cables.

3. Clean the printhead thoroughly with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab. No problem to wash the electronic board. Also shake it a little bit because there might be some ink inside the printhead. Dry it with a clean and soft paper.

4. Clean the printhead-to-printer connectors (anything metal-looking) with rubbing alcohol and q-tips.

5. Do let the printhead air-dry for about an hour.

6. Turn on the printer, put the printhead back in the printer and insert the cartridges.
Check if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, you cannot do any more troubleshooting yourself. The issue is either with the printhead, or the logic board, or both.

It is better to get a new printer instead of repairing it. Since these are major parts, unfortunately the cost of repairs may be more than a new printer itself, (if the printer is out of warranty).

I understand that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information.

Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed.

I apologize for the bad news. However, this is the honest answer I can give.

Thank you.
S H E F I N

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
You can't get to the ink cartridges without power. I suspect that is also true with the print head. However, the cartirdges are all almost new and there is no reason why the "printhead temperature is exceeded" as the printer was just asked to print something (out of use for many hours prior) and the room is normal room temperature and not in the sun.
Also, I inadvertently "choose" the second option on answers. I don't want multiple answers and I don't want to pay anything for something I do not intend to use. I will assume this answer is part of the "free trial."
Expert:  Shefin replied 10 months ago.

The error means "Printhead temperature exceeded" and you may have to replace the printhead. The issue may happen with many other reasons, and it shows that the printhead is bad. And it may cause issues to Logic board too. So, i would suggest you get it repaired or replaced.

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Can you fix it remotely? And if you can't do I still have to pay? What happened to the fee trial?
Expert:  Shefin replied 10 months ago.

It is a hardware issue, so that we cannot fix it remotely. You need to have parts replaced for the printer, and it may cost you more than a new printer. it is better to get a new printer, if the printer is not in warranty. You will not be charged if you have not rated for my answer.

Thank you.

S H E F I N