Richard, Technician
Experience:  Printer and scanner problem resolver for over 15 years
32989067

I am getting an error message "one or more cartridges are

Customer Question

I am getting an error message "one or more cartridges are missing or damaged". But the printer will print a Status Report fine and will make copies fine. I have tried all of the HP troubleshooting recommendations - but continue to get the error message.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your HP is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It is an HP OfficeJet Pro x576dw MFP and is about a year old.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Cleaned the acumen contact, removed and replaced the cartridge, unplugged machine and plugged it back in...
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: Nope - that should do it.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

Can you tell me the version of windows or Mac you are using please?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am using OS X El Capitan but it is the same message for everyone who is using it... we are all using MacBooks with slightly different OS versions.
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

Thanks

Can you please remove the power to the printer (so unplug it from the power socket).

Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the printer, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok. Its unplugged. I will let you know what happens.
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

thank you

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It is still giving the same message. "One or more cartridges appear to be damaged. Remove them and replace with new cartridge." We did replace the cartridge... still same message.
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

ok, if you remove the cartridge and leave it removed, does it then clear the message?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I get a different message - "don't turn printer off with cartridge removed..."
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

ok, now put the old cartridge in that worked before, tell me if it then removes the error please

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I don't have the old cartridge... this started yesterday and we already took the trash out.
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

ok, put the cartridge back in, goes back to the same error?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
it does not pop up till we try to print, but same error message.
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

ok, remove the cartridge again then power off the printer.

Use a Q-Tip dipped in alcohol and clean the inside of the print head where the cartridge goes in.

Clean this out then give it 10 minutes to dry

Once done, put it back in, power the printer on and tell me if it then functions please.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
This is going to take me a minute... I will let you know
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

no problem, thanks

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Still showing error. Note - this machine is very hard to get to the print head. It is deep inside the machine. I did my best but i'm not sure it did much good.
I just don't get why it makes copies fine but won't print. I would think that if it is really the ink that nothing would print (either copies or documents sent from the computer).
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

Thats because a print interfaces with the printer and its getting this error sent to it

Reinstall the printer on one of the Macs' does it then print?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Error still pops up on Printer's little touch screen... Computers print queue says "Check the printer for errors."
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

have you replaced all cartridges in the printer?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No - we replace the Yellow and Black as those were the ones we first had the message about. The black cleared out but now the yellow is still giving the message.
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

ok, to be sure another cartridge is not giving off an error that the printer which not reading correctly, can you replace the other cartridges please.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have to leave the office now - but I will be back in the morning. can we start again then?
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

yes no problem

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Will I be able to use these old cartridges still? These cartridges are expensive...
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

If the other ones work then no as the cartridges are faulty, you need to do the test to see

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I did this but still got the error message on the Yellow cartridge.
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.

Thanks