Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.

After replacing black cartridge printer suddenly now does

Customer Question

after replacing black cartridge printer suddenly now does not print black. have tried all recommended steps re alignment and head cleaning (and second level cleaning). nothing works, appreciate help.
JA: What is the exact make and model of your printer? And what kind of cartridges are you using?
Customer: HP officejet 6000 model E809a, serial number CN1651F09R, product number CB051A. Official HP cartridge 920XL. Have used this printer for last few years, changed cartridges successfully dozens of times. Perplexed at sudden trouble on routine cartridge replacement.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: All HP recommended steps in HP Support Assistant (see initial message).
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: no
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it).

It is quite common for the black nozzles to fail first, as they get the most use.

It is also common to see a failure upon changing the ink, not because of the new cartridge, but because the old one got low enough to start printing dry which overheats and damages the nozzles.

You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function repeatedly, up to 5 times total, testing after each.

If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning as a next step.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2009 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks I'll get a new printer. What is my cost for this advice?
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

I can't see the billing detail (we're independent techs), but it should show on the account/history page. Typically it is in the $23 range.

If looking for a replacement, I’d recommend any of the Epson workforce series printers. They tend to be very reliable, are easy to set up and use, have good print quality, and reasonably priced ink. Example: or

Note that these, like all consumer grade inkjet printers, are designed to be low cost and are essentially disposable after a few years, subsidized by the high cost of ink cartridges. If you wish to have a better quality and longer lasting printer, that comes with years worth of ink up front, consider the Epson ecotank models instead:

Alternately, for a more business/commercial grade product that will be rated for a 5 year life, consider a laser printer. Lasers cost more up front also, but a toner cartridge can last for thousands of pages. A black only all in one laser is around $125:

while a color model is about twice that:

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service using the stars at the top of the page; hopefully I have earned 5 Stars. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

You are very welcome