Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.

I have an HP Officejet Pro 6830 that indicates I have a

Customer Question

I have an HP Officejet Pro 6830 that indicates I have a problem with the printhead.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your OfficeJet is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 1 1/2 to 2 yrs old Oxc19a0020
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: pulled the ink cartridges. Didn't see anything odd.
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: no
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Unfortunately this error indicates a hardware problem,

specifically, it is the result of a bad printhead (or the logic board that controls it).

The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2014 model printer, it is well into its designed (by hp) maximum 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.

There is one step you can take here, to clean and reset the system, but it is very unlikely to help. 99.9% of the time, this does come down to a hardware fault.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the cleaning/reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?