Dustin, Printer Repair Specialist
Experience:  A deep understanding and technical prowess in the finer points of printing and printer repair. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

I have an epson XP820. My previous one printed well then

Customer Question

I have an epson XP820. My previous one printed well then quit printing photos. It would print a big smear of multiple colors swirled around but would print color documents fine. Because I had just purchased a lot of ink cartridges, I bought another one of the same model. Barely 2 years later and this one is doing the same thing just suddenly! I have done all the head cleaning and priming in the maintenance functions. What now? I'm stuck again with several extra inks.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.

The unfortunate reality of modern printers is the printhead, the part that puts ink on the paper. Fails quite often. Im not surprised that at the two year mark your printhead has failed.

What you can do, is try to use a manual cleaning kit such as this to flush out the printhead http://amzn.to/2avTexJ

And heres a video that will help you use the cleaning kit https://youtu.be/3kKULRjqaLg

That works and fixes the issue sometimes, it just depends on how badly the printhead is clogged, or whether some of the nozzles have fused shut.

With that being said, you may be better off buying your epson printers from amazon.. For instance on this printer they offer a 3 year protection plan for an additional 8$ http://amzn.to/2acDYTC

At least that way, when the printer fails 2 years down the road you can get it swapped out with a new one.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If the print head has failed, how does it continue to print color documents without issue?
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Color documents, use different ink tanks then photo documents. For instance documents use black, and photos use photo black.

Its possible you may just have your paper or media settings set wrong.. For instance, if you are printing on premium glossy photo paper, then thats what type of paper it should specify in your print settings, when you print.

Assuming you have the paper set to match the paper in the print settings, then this is a printhead failure. As each ink tank has several dozen nozzles that are unique to it on the bottom of the printhead.

D.S

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
there are 2 different black tanks but only one of each color. it went from printing a picture then 5 minutes later no picture. the paper settings are correct. still makes no sense to me
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

I did mention that using a cleaning kit on the printhead could solve the issue.

It just depends on how clogged the printhead is..

Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Hello, this is Dustin from Justanswer.com. You never responded after viewing my answer. Did you still need help with this issue?

Dustin S.