John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.

My Epson stylus cx4200 pushes paper out and makes noise like

Customer Question

my Epson stylus cx4200 pushes paper out and makes noise like it's printing...but pages are blank.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Epson is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It's about 2008 or so. I tried removing the software and re-adding it. Unplugging and replugging....
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I also opened and closed it, and run the printer test software. It thinks it is passing the printer checks. It has plenty of ink.
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: Nope.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

The non-printing from the things you have mentioned, may be owing to clogged printhead(s).

I think you should try a certain cleaning procedure that I have found effective, first.

In outline:

1. Clean the printhead. (-This is a Maintenance function, that can be found either on the printer's menus, or in the printer's software on your computer. Your order it, and the printer performs it in a minute or two. Ask for instructions if you need them.)

2. Wait 1/2 hour to several hours or overnight, leaving the printer On but unused (no print jobs, etc.)

This allows waste ink to soak into the printhead and hopefully dissolve dried ink etc.

3. Clean the printhead a second time.

4. Wait again (as in step 2 above) for 1/2 hr. to several hrs., printer On but unused.

5. Clean the printhead a third time.

Then test whether the various colors of ink are showing up at all in prints at this point. If it is, even faintly, then repeating this procedure will (eventually, at the cost of a certain amount of ink wasted in the process) clear up the clogged printhead.

After that fails, if it does fail, what you need to do is to decide whether replacing the printhead (which will cost something considerable, more than you would think usually) is better, given the printer's age, or whether it would be more preferable for you to replace the printer altogether with a new one (and hopefully recycle the old printer, always a good idea.)

So try the triple-cleaning-with-wait-times that I recommended, and get back to me if it doesn't work for you (so I can advise you further...)... or if it does help (- I always like to hear that something I recommended has worked!)

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No dice.
That didn't change anything.
Please keep the $5 I agreed to but do NOT charge me anything else.
Thanks for trying.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 months ago.

OK. Thank you for asking your question here at

(I have no power over billing, or charges. I have to refer all such concerns to Customer Support at They can be contacted through

if you have any questions.)