John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.

My Brother HL-5370DW won't print envelopes anymore. It pulls

Customer Question

My Brother HL-5370DW won't print envelopes anymore. It pulls the #10 envelope a short distance in, then stops and delivers the red light. This is an intermittent problem. After failing to print on a number of tries, the printer finally decides to pull the envelope all the way through.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I think that may be a problem with the paper pickup rollers, that propel the envelope into the printer. They may be getting slippery with age and use. (I presume your # ***** envelopes are not particularly slippery or glossy.)

If the problem might possibly be owing to aging roller surfaces (for paper is fed into faxes and printers with rubber or plastic cylindrical rollers, that propel the sheet into or through the machine)... then you might need to clean the rollers in the problem area where feeding is not happening.

Remove all paper from the machine, unplug it, and open it so as to have access to the rollers in the problem area where feeding is not being done properly.

Take a clean high-quality lint-free rag cloth, moisten it with rubbing alcohol, and rub the rollers firmly all over their paper-contacting surfaces, three times over.

(If the rollers are hard to reach, there is another way to clean them... let me know if that is the case, and I will detail how to do the cleaning.)

Allow 5+ minutes for drying-off, then reload the paper, close up the machine where you opened it up, and then try again.

Let me know whether this helps, or not, please.