Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.

I got an alarm the the printer head was incorrect and cant

Customer Question

i got an alarm the the printer head was incorrect and cant seem to clear it to fix the problem
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: mp500
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: didn't know what to do
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: no i guess thats it
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Unfortunately this error indicates a hardware problem,

specifically, it is the result of a bad printhead (or the logic board that controls it).

The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2006 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.

There is one step you can take here, to clean and reset the system, but it is very unlikely to help. 99.9% of the time, this does come down to a hardware fault.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the cleaning/reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

A remote session would not be productive here, this issue cannot be addressed remotely, but we can talk by phone if you'd prefer to discuss it that way.

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?