John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

I have a cannon pixma and it is currently flashing both the

Customer Question

I have a cannon pixma and it is currently flashing both the green light and the yellow light and will not print
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 10 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

How old is your Canon PIXMA printer?

Try unplugging it from power. Leave it that way for at least 1/2 hour.

Or longer.

Then at the end of that time, see whether cooling down and resetting has helped it.

Let me know how it goes, please. Thanks.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It hadn't been plug-in in a week So I don't think that will do any thing for it.

How many times is the green light flashing?

How many times is the orange light flashing after that?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it goes back and forth with the yellow light.

So in other words, once green, once orange, once green, once orange, and so forth?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
That is correct light an blinking light back and forth

Try unplugging it. That's a fatal error flash code.

Try at least letting it cool and reset for about 5 minutes, before trying it again.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK it's unplugged but it was unplugged when this first started. So I don't think this will work..

One person with the 'fatal error' flash code and with a Canon printer, reported that

- turning it Off by pressing the Power button.

- then turning it On by pressing the Power button

would get rid of the flashes and restore the printer to working order... until it was left unused for a while.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No didn't work. what else you got
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Still there
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Are you still here trying to help or what

I'm still here.

By 'didn't work' I presume it changed nothing.

Did you try turning it Off with the power button, then turning it On again?

If that didn't alter the fatal error flash, then I must ask, how old is the Canon PIXMA printer in question?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It didn't change anything and the printer is about 5 years old
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Just noticed something with it. It flashes back and forth and then on the 12th time it stops for a moment and then goes back to flashing.

Then it may have had its last useful year these last 12 months, I'm sorry to have to say.

Five years is a more than reasonable lifetime for this sort of printer. Some only just outlast their 1-year warranty period, some only a year or two longer.

If you want I can look up options for recycling the printer, if there are any in your region. If you like, I can also Opt Out, turning the case over to other Experts in this category at no extra charge to you.

Oh.

12 flashes? that's different... please tell me the model # ***** your Canon PIXMA printer. 12 flashes might mean something in context with the specific model #.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It's a 100 or a 190
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Also when I open the cover the ink cartridges don't move to the center like they should

PRO 100 I presume.

For 12 flashes on the PRO 100 printer model, you are recommended to make sure that ink cartridges are properly installed. All colors of ink cartridges.

Check the level with either the printer's own controls for checking ink levels, also, or else with the computer that is attached to the Canon printer, there is Canon software for that.

Or, manually remove, then re-seat into its place, each and every cartridge, but only one at a time! for obscure reasons.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok I think that got it no more yellow light only green

That is promising!

Try printing with it, please. Let me know the result.