John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

Print Quality help.... This new machine is doing my head

Customer Question

Print Quality help.... This new machine is doing my head in... came with it's set of inks. Paid a tech to set up properly. The ink ran out after he went as we had used so much in trying ourselves to connect etc. WASTED..... As it was after hours, had some NEW/ unopened compatable inks. Put them in correctly and the machine would not recognise. Then purchased New Epson set and threw out the others. Now..... There is lines through the print. I need someone to talk me through this before I smash something, lol... The page 27 of the book is no help what so ever. Thankyou, Jenny
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I hope I can help with what appears to have been a siege of difficulties. But there are some hard facts to state, too:

- printers are sometimes defective from the vendor or store. (But, those can be returned for another, free of charge, if the faulty nature of the individual printer is recognized in time.)

- 'compatible' inks don't necessarily work.

Nonetheless, there is some hope here. Lines through printouts are often treatable by this routine, followed step by step:

In outline:

1. Clean the printhead. (This is not done by hand. In the Maintenance functions of your printer, there is a 'Clean Printhead' or 'Printhead Cleaning' operation you can order, that the printer then does for itself while you wait a minute or two or three. If you need instructions on finding this Maintenance function, just ask.)

2. Wait 1/2 hour to several hours or overnight, leaving the printer On but unused (no print jobs, etc.)

This allows waste ink to soak into the printhead and hopefully dissolve dried ink etc.

3. Clean the printhead a second time.

4. Wait again (as in step 2 above) for 1/2 hr. to several hrs., printer On but unused.

5. Clean the printhead a third time.

Then test whether ink is showing up evenly and without lines, in test prints, at this point. If it is, even faintly, then repeating this procedure will (eventually, at the cost of a certain amount of ink wasted in the process) clear up the clogged printhead.

After that fails, if it does fail, what you need to do is to decide whether replacing the printhead (which will cost something considerable, more than you would think usually) is better, given the printer's age, or whether it would be more preferable for you to replace the printer altogether with a new one (and hopefully recycle the old printer, always a good idea.)

So try the triple-cleaning-with-wait-times that I recommended, and get back to me if it doesn't work for you (so I can advise you further...)... or if it does help (- I always like to hear that something I recommended has worked!)