Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

I have a HP office jet printer. I want to print in black

Customer Question

I have a HP office jet printer. I want to print in black only and the unit says my color ink (yellow) is empty. I seldom use color. How can I print in black only when I want to. I have removed all color cartridges and that does not help. Can you give me step by step "how to do?"
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your OfficeJet is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Model is HP Officejet 6700 Premium. It is approx. 3 years old.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Have tried to print with cartridges in place and with only the black in place. Also I have had indicators that the cartridges are empty but I have replace them in the past even though I did not think that was needed. The current cartridges were replaced on 3/31/16. My use of the computer and printer is light in comparison to most users.
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: Have tried to send answer to your last question, but think I hit something after I hit SEND that may have blocked it to you, Let me know if you got it.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Robert M. replied 4 months ago.

You are not going to like this answer but

there is no way to print without the color cartridges in that printer.

There are 2 reasons for this

1. It never prints pure black. It uses small amounts of the other colors to make the black stand out more.

2. It damages the print head to print with no ink going through it.

If you want to print only in black and white there are some printers from canon which have 2 black ink tanks. 1 is used to blend colors and 1 is used for straight text. They use different types of ink. With a printer like that you could get away with printing text for a long time and only having to replace the black ink. With the one you have now you will have to eventually replace the color inks even if you only print in black and white.