Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

Installing maintenance kit SP C410DN/C411DN. The fusing unit

Customer Question

Installing maintenance kit for Aficio SP C410DN/C411DN. The fusing unit slides into place but I get a message "set fusing unit correctly." I took out the new one and put back the old one and it's fine (but the fusing unit needs to be replaced...it's crinkling sheets). I bought another kit and got the same results with the new fuser. Why won't the printer accept the new fuser?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Robert M. replied 4 months ago.

thats strange

fusers usually go in pretty easy.

usually they just slide in. sometimes they have to be shifted a little bit one direction or another after they slide to snap into place. and screw down and there is one cable that gets attached.

is there something else in the way maybe that would be crinkling the paper? usually a fuser unit itself wont do that. when they go bad they just smudge the toner. but something small can be stuck either on the fuser or in front of it and that might be what is causing both problems.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The old part and new part slide in identically and easily. Is there some sort of "preparing" of the new fusing unit I have to do? (like on toner cartridges, there's a tape to pull out, etc.) There's no obstructions, as is evidenced by the old unit easily being accepted back into place. The kit instructions say "Prepare a new fusing unit" but shows only a static drawing of the part with no additional instruction. All I've done to "prepare" the new part is to take it out of the plastic bag it ships in. This is a head-scratcher.

there is a locking lever that has to lock it in place once the new one is in

and there is a small electrical connection on the bottom left that may have to be attached before the fuser goes into the machine

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/314352/Ricoh-Aficiosp-C410dn.html?page=143#manual

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Since the old fuser goes back in without any issues, I'm sure we're not doing anything wrong during the installation process (It's pretty idiot-proof). Since the issue we get is the same on two brand new fusers, (both from Ricoh) I'm wondering if there's possibly a technical bulletin about the new parts being crap ??? I'm $400 into this so far. If you can't put your thumb on a solution, can you suggest a resource that might? Every result on a search for a local repair guy gets me shops that want to sell a new printer/multi.

i found another post that says there are some alignment marks that you have to make sure are aligned

http://support.ricoh.com/bb_v1oi/pub_e/oi_view/0001040/0001040664/view/hardware/unv/0108.htm

you might try changing or at least pulling in and out the transfer unit as well on that page

i am going off line now so i will opt out in case somebody else can help you.

if the last thing i found does work i hope that you will still give me a good rating

thanks