Jennifer French
Jennifer French, Technician
Experience:  Owner at Down Home Technical Solutions

I keep getting a SC542 on my Ricoh Aficio SP C240sf all in

Customer Question

I keep getting a SC542 on my Ricoh Aficio SP C240sf all in one laser printer. I have take it to the shop three times and they have "fix the problem" (last like a couple of weeks) then again. No parts seems to be damaged as it prints readily. I have purchase a voltage regulator so it wont be hurt by current ups and downs however this seems not to be the problem.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Jennifer French replied 3 months ago.

Hi! My name is***** may be have some enlightening information for you.

Code SC542 means that there is an issue with the fuser thermistor. It could be the temperature, it could be a bad roller, or a bad BCU. It is located on the top of the fuser above the hot roller.

Best case scenario, it just get dirty or gets a little loose. If it keeps giving you problems, the part probably needs to be replaced.

To clear the code, press the yellow clear modes key and then press 107 on the number pad. Then press and hold the clear stop button. Then, press the Copy SP Button. Open the front door and then turn the front, left power switch off and back on and shut the door. That error code should clear,

Let me know if any of that helps but I am 99% sure that is the issue you are having.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Which or where are the "yellow" clear mode key(s) on my model?, on mine it seems like the clear and clear/stop are the same. The I would guess the copy SP is the normal "copy" button. I added three pics of my device key area. Thanks!

I apologize!!!!!

On THIS model, just press Clear/Stop,1,0,7, Clear/Start.

Each key should be held until you hear a beep. That should clear the error.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it took me to the maintance mode screen but it would not clear out. Guee that when you say Clear/Start you mean Color/Start because the model does not has a clear/start, anyhow thats how it took me to the maintenance screen.

Yes. I couldn't see clearly but that's where you need to be.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It took me to the maintanance mode, do I have do do something from there? go to a specific screen, I even factory reset the printer, turn it off but it came back right on

When you get into maintenance mode, you should be able to press 1, 0, then 7, and then color start again.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The tecnician wrote on the repair note that everything was ok he only had to reset the code SC542.

Honestly, that should be how you reset the code. But any machine or device that throws an error code has an underlying issue that needs to be addressed. I am actually about to step out for now so I will opt out and let another technician have a go. I hope the issue is resolved soon! Thank you for allowing me to work on this. Thank you for using Just Answer!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Have not been able to solve my problem. Can't get the SC542 to reset