Jennifer French
Jennifer French, Technician
Experience:  Owner at Down Home Technical Solutions
95132829

My Epson WF-2660, after the house lost power hour, keeps

Customer Question

My Epson WF-2660, after the house lost power for an hour, keeps giving me an error message "Turn off and restart printer." Epson says it has to go into repair shop, where minimum charge is $45 just to diagnose the problem and then part, repair, etc. It is just over the one year Manf. warranty with minimum use...
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Epson is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: WF-2660 just over a year old
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: That recommended by Epson tech support: move printer head to far left and restart printer. That's all they could offer on phone.
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: Cost?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Sudipto replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for posting your question on Justanswer.com, a global paid independent support site.My Name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. Can you remember if the printer was printing something, when the power went out ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No, the printer was asleep when the power went out
Expert:  Sudipto replied 4 months ago.

OK, please remove the power cord from the printer then, wait for 10 mins. after that connect the power cord and let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Did that, as the Epson tech person suggested...
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
nothing changed
Expert:  Sudipto replied 4 months ago.

Can you tell me, what else they have suggested, so that I can skip those same steps.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Just the 2 things: move the printer head all the way to the left and restart and unplugging the printer for ten minutes...
Expert:  Sudipto replied 4 months ago.

Are you able to turn off the printer by the power switch ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
both turn on and off. After restarting, it begins to go through "motions" of restarting, life always, then message comes back on.
Expert:  Sudipto replied 4 months ago.

It seems to be a logic board problem anyway, I will open the question for other experts.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
That's mine, as well as my brother's opinion. He's a computer, electronics, satellite systems engineer
Expert:  Russell H. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I would like to add a remark - I do not disagree with the other Expert's opinion, nor your opinion nor your brother's opinion.

I just would like to add, that this could perhaps be prevented if the printer had been powered through a surge protector. A surge protector for every electronic device of any value, is an investment that always pays off in the long run.

Do you need any help or advice on the process either of repairing, replacing, or recycling / disposing of, the printer in question?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Actually, the printer and my computers are plugged into a reliable and working surge protector!

A UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) is a surer way to protect devices against power failures... since low voltage can harm them just as much (in a different way) as high voltage.

But most people do not have UPS power filtering devices, since the cost is much higher than that of a good surge protector.

I regret to hear that a surge protector did not protect the printer adequately enough.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm aware of the UPS power supply, but the expense has never been justified. I think this is a statement of poor manufacturing as much as anything, as it appears to be the logic board...

If you need no further advice, I will Opt Out to open the case up again.

I have done so, but can still respond to any further queries on this case. Thank you for asking your question here at JustAnswer.com.

Expert:  Jennifer French replied 4 months ago.

I just read your conversation with the previous tech and wanted to give you a little bit of advice. It definitely seems like a logic board issue. If the printer is less than a year old, there should still be a warranty on it and you will be able to get it fixed under that warranty. If it is out of warranty, my suggestion would be to purchase another printer. It is simply not worth the time and money to repair because in the end, you will lose more money trying to repair it than just getting another printer. I hope that helps.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Jennifer - As I wrote in the original question, it is just out of warranty and because there is no "quick fix, " knowing the minimum cost at the local Epson repair shop, had already decided not to "repair" it. Epson offered me discounted WF's, but still more than I wanted to pay...

I completely understand. I have been in that situation myself. Personally, I have been doing this for 15 years and at this point, I would get a new printer with a warranty because time, effort and repair versus the cost of a new one is more cost efficient for both me and whoever I am performing the repair for. The power outage probably fried the logic board and as unfortunate as that is, it does give you an opportunity to get something new and better and not have to worry about it.

Expert:  Robert M. replied 4 months ago.

I purchased one of those printers for about 60 bucks at best buy. Its not worth fixing

The power surge probably fried one of the boards in it.

surge suppressors vary widely in quality no matter what the specs they publish say. I lived in a building with very shaky power for a couple of years. I burnt out power supplies about once a week with a cheap surge suppressor. When the place i bought them from told me they would no longer replace them i bought a more expensive surge suppressor with a guarantee against damage to equipment plugged into it. That stopped the problem instantly.

If you are satisfied by one of the answers that you received, please rate that particular answer with a rating of 3 or more stars so that the expert can receive credit for assisting you. Please keep in mind that you are rating the expert, not the product. If you still have any questions, please reply and one of our experts will be available to answer your question. Thank you for choosing Just Answer and have a great day.