John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

My printer gave no scan options and when I resolved it, I

Customer Question

My printer gave no scan options and when I resolved it, I can no longer scan without a screen prompt appearing. Previously I scanned from the device and it completed without anything on screen until it showed it was done.
JA: What is the machine's exact make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Officejet 5610 All in One
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I tried hp steps found online including unplugging power and green cords and unplugging from power source and trying to work with the online screen prompt and Solution Center but found nothing describing the problem.
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: That is all.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Sudipto replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for posting your question on Justanswer.com, a global paid independent support site.My Name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.Do you get the prompt on the printer screen or on your PC ?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
on computer screen.
Expert:  Sudipto replied 10 months ago.

Can you tell me, what options do you get ?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it gave long list of choices for shortcuts which I don't need [i.e. PDF, TIF, picture to email, picture to printer, etc
Heading on message box: Scanning from...Scan to Button (Front Panel)
Expert:  Sudipto replied 10 months ago.

OK, when you try to scan from the printer, what option do you select, like scan to computer or anything else ?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I chose doc to pdf as I have in the past and it simply scanned without any oncsreen message until 'done' appeared.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
what is the solution; I have a time restriction. thanks.
Expert:  Sudipto replied 10 months ago.

OK, when you see the screen on your PC, there must be option to select the default action for every option on the screen, try to find out option for PDF or doc to PDF, and select which program should open for that option, like adobe acrobat etc. if you select that program then, it will open when you scan from the printer, instead of that screen.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No adobe option.
Expert:  Sudipto replied 10 months ago.

Can you click the Scan to button option on that screen ?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I must go; thanks anyway. If you find a solution, please email it.
Expert:  Sudipto replied 10 months ago.

OK, I think you have reconfigured the software and that is why you are getting the settings screen everytime you try to scan from the printer. Follow the steps below to make a new shortcut on your printer for PDF and when you select that shortcut the document will be scanned automatically without giving you the settings screen.

1. HP Solution Center opens.

2. Click Settings, then click Scan Settings.

3. In the Scan to...Setup setting, select an available scan shortcut, then click Add to add the shortcut to the Front panel list window.

4. Click Update the device to add the scan options to the printer control panel.

5. Set up other optional default scan job settings, such as scan shortcuts and preview options. Select Create a new custom scan shortcut from the list on your computer.

• Prompt for settings at the time of scan: Choose a specific Scan Picture or Scan Document scan shortcut each time you scan with HP Solution Center (recommended).

• Show preview scan: The HP software generates a preview of the scan. This lets you to review the scan quality and make additional edits before the scan is complete (recommended).

• Prompt for settings when scanning from the control panel: Get a prompt for any changes you want to make to the scan settings before completing the scan job (recommended).

• Create a new custom scan shortcut: Review the default settings for a selected scan shortcut, change any basic settings as desired, then click Save Shortcut to name and save the shortcut.

6. Try to scan.