Jennifer French
Jennifer French, Technician
Experience:  Owner at Down Home Technical Solutions

Magenta head not printing on my F7070 Sure Color Dye

Customer Question

Magenta head not printing on my F7070 Sure Color Dye Sublimation printer
Category: Printers
Expert:  Jennifer French replied 3 months ago.

Hello! This is going to be one of three problems.

It is either going to be that the print head needs to be reseated, cleaned, or replaced.

Have you performed a head cleaning at all?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi JenniferI've done 28 consecutive cleans & get different M1 zone bars to print each time. Twice I was able to get a perfect print on the Magenta M1 head but then Black BK1 partially fell out. The next heavy clean would get Black BK1 but M1 fell out again.
M1 & BK1 are the only two that are giving problems.
M1 & BK1 are on the same cleaning cycle.
M2 & BK2 have been fine as have all other heads.I been having this problem for about a month. It always has appeared on the first print in the morning & a heavy clean would usually get it going. If it sat for a while it would happen again that same day.The reseated problem sounds plausible & heres why I think so.
This first appeared after I had run a long print where the right edge of the paper came out of it's hold down guide & humped up causing repeated head strikes. This had gone on for a few yards intermittently but never really torn the paper....more like a repeated rub.
Upon stopping the print & doing a test print only M1 was not printing properly. A heavy clean got it back going.Everything is super clean as far as with a lint free rag.
The other thing that is happening is I get a warning light with buzzer telling me the ink reservoir is out of ink but it is not.
I've topped it off & put in a new chips & that's no help. I seem to be able to push the cartridges in real hard or jiggle them around & that makes the warning go off. The cartridges are fine because a I have another Epson Sure Color F6070 that uses the same cartridges & I've swapped them out & no change occurred.Does this sound like a reseating problem to You?
If so can you tell me how to do it.
I ain't bashful about taking anything apart.
Already got most of the covers off now & the top part of the head cover off trying to see if I can find the source.
Tony Hardin(###) ###-####

All you need to do to is pull each cartridge out and put them back in. Reseating is just a fancy word LOL! You have already done 99% of the troubleshooting I would do.

Now, if reinstalling the cartridge doesn't work, you should be able to get a replacement cartridge if it is new. That may be your best bet.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It's not a cartridge problem.
I've swapped cartridges with another printer I have & no change.
What's next?

There are a few things that we need to make absolutely sure has been checked:

Are the print head nozzles clogged? If the magenta print head is clogged, it just won't print.

Did you perform a head alignment?

Did you try a Feed Adjustment?

Is the chip unit going bad?

The following parts are the usual parts that go bad on your printer:

Print head

Carriage encoder

Ink holder

Damper kit

Pump cap

Ink supply tank

I would check those as well.

Let me know if you need any documentation or anything of that sort. Also let me know if you were able to resolve this issue.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Send what documentation you can on the items you listed like how to check the print head to see if they are clogged.
Head alignment & feed adjustment.
I did break the ink line loose where they screw into the print head at the manifold & all 4 colors came out ....these lines apparently have standing pressure on them......fortunately I just cracked open the manifold slightly & didn't blow ink everywhere.On "chip going bad" if you mean the Magenta chip that comes with the ink bags then that one has been changed out.
We are talking about the same machine an Epson SureColor F7070 that you are referencing about parts going bad ....correct?

Yes, the exact same one. I have the manual. It has instructions on how to troubleshoot as well. Here is the link.

As far as my personal knowledge of printers in general, I immediately thought it was the print head or cartridge, and I have been doing this for 15 years. I would say follow the manual, and if that doesn't resolve it, it may need some physical service done on the machine beyond what you and I can do together. I certainly hope this resolves it but this is about as far as we can go without actually getting our hands on it.

My name is ***** ***** I thank you for trusting me with this issue and be assured, I gave you all the information I could both from my experience and my research. If you'd like, I can opt out and give another technician a go at it, but I'm 99% certain they are going to tell you the exact same thing.

I am just checking back with you to see if this issue was resolved. If you were able to resolve the issue with my advice, please rate my performance with at least 3 stars at the top of the screen so that I may receive credit for this resolution. If you have any questions or concerns, please reply and I, or another expert, will be more than happy to assist. Have a wonderful day and thank you for using Just Answer.