Jennifer French
Jennifer French, Technician
Experience:  Owner at Down Home Technical Solutions

I replaced the drum unit on my 4150dcn printer. The printer

Customer Question

Hi Pearl. I replaced the drum unit on my 4150dcn printer. The printer has never been the same. There are spots and smears on my page. In a 70 page document, red spots start appearing. By page 50, half the text on the page is illegible.
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: It's a 4150cdn. It is about 4 years old.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I don't know what to try.
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: no thanks.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Jennifer French replied 3 months ago.

Hello. I understand you are having issues with the printing quality when you print out documents?

Well, the first thing that you would need to do is make sure that the drum and the toner cartridges are seated properly. Remove the drum and cartridges
and put them back in, being careful not to touch the electrodes or to spill any toner. Secondly, if the drum has gotten toner in it, clean the drum unit as best as you can without using ANY chemicals.

If those steps don't work, go to to update your firmware.

If none of these steps work, then the cartridge or the drum may have gotten damaged somehow. Let me know if any of this helps.

I am just checking back with you to see if this issue was resolved. If you were able to resolve the issue with my advice, please rate my performance with at least 3 stars at the top of the screen so that I may receive credit for this resolution.

If you have any questions or concerns, please reply and I, or another expert, will be more than happy to assist. Have a wonderful day and thank you for using Just Answer.