Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

I have a Canon IPF8300 error code E161-403E, This is the

Customer Question

Hi Pearl : )I have a Canon IPF8300 error code E161-403E
JA: Has your Canon done this before? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: This is the first time for this error message. Printer is about 4 years old. My research says that it is a burnt out right printhead. It needs to be replaced through service mode. I downloaded a service manual to help me through this. So I think I have a good diagnosis and action plan, I just need to verify that it is just one of the printheads, and of any pitfalls to me going into my printer through service mode.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: turn on and off several times. Other advice is to enter service mode and do a firmware update, though it seems that this error is most always a fried right printhead
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: I have never used this service before. I did check it out yesterday. From what I gather, here is how it works. I put a $5 deposit to start, then I pay more afterwards, if I am satisfied. Is that close?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 7 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

As to the error code you mention:

That is agreed commonly to mean a defective printhead. Printheads can overheat and short out, with excessive (or with heavy usage in hot environments.)

As to clearing the error: on the iPF750, holding down both the Navigate and the Load buttons cleared the error in one case.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. Thanks.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
From my above question:
I need to verify that it is just one of the printheads, and of any pitfalls to me going into my printer through service mode.

I have no information to indicate that the printheads are separable, as opposed to all-one-printhead, on this model. So as far as replacement goes, it's the whole printhead that needs replacing.

Going into service mode... I was busy researching data from multiple sources for you, so I forgot that aspect: In service mode, follow the most reliable source or guide you have, and don't touch anything else but what you are trying to get done. If you change any setting or value, note down what change you made where and from what previous value - that can be very essential, since some settings in service mode can disable a printer quite distinctly if done wrongly.

So proceed with care, and follow the best source for directions.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. Thanks, ***** ***** luck.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The IPF8300 has two printheads, a left and a right. Anyway to tell if I need to replace just one or both?

I looked for such information. No info from the error code said anything about which printhead it might be, just 'the printhead'.

If your source is reliable and says it's just one of the printheads, per that error code, then it should be a good indicator, I think.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
If I go into service mode, will it tell me which one(s) need replacing?
If not, how do I determine which to replace?

Service mode isn't that intelligent. It will not tell you anything (comprehensible.)

Quoting your original post:

My research says that it is a burnt out right printhead.

I would like to comment that I don't know how you determined that. Which color was having a problem, before? and what was the problem?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I got this info from one of the questions this site,
from a customer that has the same issue.
I have an error code E61-403E on my Canon ipf8300. I was advised by the local Canon dealer I bought my machine from that I needed to replace my Right Print head.
http://my.justanswer.com/question/guest/9d193bc175be496085f37974f40e84fb
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is there an expert that has direct experience with the IPF8300 that I can consult with?
How does one go about getting a second opinion? This is my first visit to this site.

I can offer you a second opinion on this case, by Opting Out, which opens the case to other Experts in this category.

Good luck with it.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks Russell
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hello