Thomas, Technician
Experience:  Ready to assist with your printer questions

2 things happened at the same time. a page with a staple

Customer Question

2 things happened at the same time.
a page with a staple went through and then the paper jammed. I got the paper out but the copy machine is not working
Category: Printers
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am happy to be working with you today. Let's see if we can get your problem resolved!

These are some general steps I get every customer with a printer problem to try before we look into advanced troubleshooting. This is generic information, so if you see something in the instructions you don't find on your specific printer, skip that step and move on.

1. Open the Printer

2. Remove the paper from the tray

3. Unplug the printer

4. Remove the cartridges if they block your view. Take a light piece of cardboard or card stock paper and push through the rollers to dislodge any paper stuck in them you can't see.

5. Use a flashlight and see if you can find any jammed paper or foreign objects. If you can see something but can't get to it, or even if you have a jam but don't see anything, pick the printer up, face the opening toward the ground and lightly shake it.

6. Using a can of compressed air (you can find these at walmart or the dollar store) and blow out the inside of the printer, along any access doors, and where the paper is fed. This removes bits of paper from places you can't see.

7. WHILE THE PRINTER IS UNPLUGGED, hold down the power button for 30 seconds.

8. Now we're ready to setup the printer again. Return the paper to the tray, return the cartridges to the printhead.

9. Very important: Hold down the stop/cancel button. Plug the printer back in and turn the printer back on WHILE holding down stop/cancel.

10. If the error persists, let me know.