Richard, Technician
Experience:  Printer and scanner problem resolver for over 15 years
32989067

I have a canon Pixma, MX 922 and only very seldom am I able

Customer Question

I have a canon Pixma, MX 922 and only very seldom am I able to scan a document. It has worked just like expected on occasion but mostly just doesn't take the document from the input. Is there something I am doing or not doing to cause this problem
Tom
Category: Printers
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

Hi there and welcome Tom

When you try to scan, do the rollers actually move, like it is trying to bring in the paper?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no. However, I just tried again to scan a doc and all of a sudden the rollers took the paper and it scanned to my computer just like it should, tried again and it also worked. ?????
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

Its likely they were dirty Tom, give them a clean with a cloth and it should be ok, or it was jammed.

Ill mark this question to never close so any issues at all, please let me know.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And please take a second to rate my service for now by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit

Thank you

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Don't think so. I made a copy of a document and then tried to scan and it would not activate the rollers to scan.
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

You mean it stopped working again Tom?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
That's been the history. I never know when it will work or not work. !!!!
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

ok, points to the drive motor Tom, this will be what is failing, possibly if you knock it it starts working again.

How old is it?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
2 years old. I have had this problem for a long time just didn't want to fool with it and used my scanner at my office.
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

ok, it points to the drive motor that drives the rollers. It a pity you did not report it before the warranty had expired, as this would be repaired under the warranty, but paying for a repair is not economically feasible, it would cost more then a replacement unit.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK ,screen shows "wait, momentarily", then goes back to home screen
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

yeah, it is the drive motor Tom, It a pity you did not report it before the warranty had expired, as this would be repaired under the warranty, but paying for a repair is not economically feasible, it would cost more then a replacement unit.

Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
You may be right but the drive motor works fine when I want to make a copy but not every time when I want to scan. Doesn't make sense to me. Must be something else I think.
Tom
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

ok Tom.... well you need to return it regardless.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Return it? Its out of warranty. Are you sure that since the motor runs when I need to copy, the scanning process should be the same. Am I doing something wrong? It works sometime and other times not. Why?
Last attempt at some solution before I throw it in the garbage.
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

There is nothing further you can do for this, its a mechanical problem, not software unfortunately.