Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.

I get the message 'Printer head is not installed'. I have

Customer Question

I get the message 'Printer head is not installed'. I have owned my Cannon MX700 for many years and it has been a wonderful machine. Is it time for me to buy a new printer head? Are they available and are they easy to install? Or should I buy a new printer? I notice that it is not easy to buy Canon '8' colours any more. Heather
JA: Has your Canon done this before? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: No this is the first time. I've lost the packaging but it would have to be at least eight years old. I have an address dated 2108 using the printer. Heather
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I've tried my Toshiba computer's trouble shooter but it informs me that problem needs user intervention. I've also gone through the process of removing colours and removing head....then replacing as advised by troubleshooters. Are new heads easy to install or would I be wasting my money? Heather
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Printer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Unfortunately this error indicates a hardware problem,

specifically, it is the result of a bad printhead (or the logic board that controls it).

The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 20007 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. At this point the printer has served its designed maximum lifespan 3 times and greatly exceeded any value that could be reasonably expected of it.

There is one step you can take here, to clean and reset the system, but it is very unlikely to help. 99.9% of the time, this does come down to a hardware fault.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the cleaning/reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

It is imperative that you reply back to me here, on your original question only, please.

Posting new/duplicate questions costs you more and hinders my ability to reply.

Please reply back here on this page when ready.

Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Do you need more help with this, Heather?