Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.

I have an Epson printer WF7610, when I use the auto feed it

Customer Question

I have an Epson printer WF7610, when I use the auto feed it creates an additional line on the printed copy. How do I correct this
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Epson is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Model WF7610, 1 year old
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: cleaning the print heads and nozzles
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Printer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Are you getting vertical line(s) on a photocopy? Only from the feeder, or through the glass also?
or does this happen on all prints even from the pc?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Nathan -I appreciate your help. I am getting a (singular) vertical line on photocopies when I use the feeder only. I do not get this line when I put the copy on the glass itself (the old fashion way). Now when I say a vertical line, it is because I am using an 8.5 x 11 inch paper supply. I do not know if this also happens when I use landscape, but I am sure it does.Gus
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Thanks, Gus.

This will be the result of contamination in the ADF. Lift the lid over the adf and check carefully with a flashlight for any scraps of paper, stray staples or paperclips, etc. Clean all exposed rubber wheels/rollers with qtips and rubbing alcohol. Blow it out with compressed air, then close it back up.

Lift the lid over the glass, then clean the underside of the lid on the far left side carefully, focusing on the thin plastic strip there (which is what guides the scanned page into the output tray), which is where the most dust tends to accumulate causing lines.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Nathan -Followed your instructions, but line continues to appear.Gus
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Hi Gus, thank you for trying,

Can you please repeat the steps again.

If it does not happen on the glass, then there are only 2 possibilities, either something is stuck in the underside of the lid, or there is a chip/nick/scratch in the glass at the far side which is registering as a line. Clean that far left portion of the glass very well too and look closely at it with a flashlight to check for damage to the glass.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Nathan -
Glass is fine, no damage to it and I cleaned the left edge too. The line continues to appear. What do you recommend?Gus
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Hi Gus,

are you certain that you got the underside of the feeder cleaned? That is really the only place this would come from.

There should be a clear/white plastic strip there, try cleaning that more aggressively, including on the inner side of it - clean with some qtips moistened with rubbing alcohol.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Nathan -Tried again and nothing worked.
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Hi Gus,

I'm not sure what else to tell you at this point, that part on the underside of the lid is really the only possible place this could be coming from IF you are positive there are no scratches or defects in the glass, and that copies from the glass all come out ok.

Is there perhaps something on the underside of the glass on the far left edge?