Richard, Technician
Experience:  Printer and scanner problem resolver for over 15 years
32989067

I've a Canon MX850 printer/lots-more-device. I recently

Customer Question

I've a Canon MX850 printer/lots-more-device. I recently physically moved the printer from my office to my home and I can't get the printer to print. Initially the MX850 would not come 'online'. I went to the print spooler and unchecked the 'work offline' box. The printer came online but when I tried to print I received an 'error'. I've unplugged the USB connection to the CPU and from the back of the printer. I've turned the printer off and back on. I've rebooted my CPU. Nothing I've tried clears the In Use/Memory flashing light or defaults the printer to Online. Any suggestions?
JA: Has your Canon done this before? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: I suspect the printer has done this before but if it did I don't remember how I 'fixed' the problem. The printer may be 5-10 years old.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Pearl, in my first paragraph I indicated what I've done.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Printer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

Using the printer offline is just waiting until it is online again but it wont allow you to print.

Can you connect the printer to a different USB port on the computer and tell me if it then prints please?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I changed the USB connector from the front of the CPU to the CPU's back array. Now the status is simply Offline with 'error'. I've a 'check mark' indicating that the printer is 'Default' but not Online.
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

Thank you

Do you have another computer there? If so, can you connect and tell me if it works on that as it will quickly tell where the problem lies.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm in the process of bringing my laptop online and connecting it to the Canon MX850.
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

Thank you

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Richard - I connected the Canon MX850 to my laptop and the printer's status initially was Offline. I went to the printer spooler and unchecked the Offline-box and the printer came online and Ready. I tried to print and simple word doc and in the printer dialog box (status) it indicates that 'Printer not responding.', which is very true.
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

Thanks

It is the printer or the cable.

Can you try with a different USB cable and tell me if this prints please

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The USB cable to the printer isn't, as you might suspect, a standard USB cable AT THE PRINTER CONNECTION. And, no, I don't have another USB cable that is adaptable.
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

No it is not but a lot of products use it.

But as we have confirmed, it is either the cable or printer that is at fault

If the cable is then you need to just replace it.

If the printer is at fault, it will be the USB port which is part of the mainboard. Replacing this is not feasible unless it is under warranty, as the repair exceeds the value of replacing the entire printer.

I would advise to take the printer into a store. Ask to test if with a cable indicating if it fails you will purchase a printer from them. This way you can confirm this issue and avoid buying anything you do not need.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you