Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

I have a D720 scanner. Not used very often. The part in the

Customer Question

I have a D720 scanner. Not used very often. The part in the scanner that the usb plug goes into is broken off.
how can i fix this??
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

It may be either

A. that the circuit board itself, even if only at the edge, is broken off. (See below, (A).)

or

B. that the pins on the USB jack have broken off. This is less likely, but simply, would mean the USB jack would have to be replaced, most likely.

Note about (A): Either the USB jack would have to be re-mounted somehow (!) and then wires from its terminals would have to be run to wherever the broken-off part of the circuit board's runs go... or more likely the entire card inside will have to be replaced for simple mechanical and electronic reasons.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Since this is portable scanner how would you fix it?
I can send tou a pic of the broken part.
It seems like it needs to be placed back and connected to the board.

OK, those pictures show that it hasn't broken the board off.

(On a second inspection there is obviously some 'run' peeled off from the circuit board... that will definitely affect how things work when you put it back on, unless the removed 'run' (seen in the last picture as two copper-colored squares on the jack, and some 'blank' space correspondingly on the board) is re-connected to... whatever I cannot see in the picture that it goes to.)

But is there fragments of the jack's original terminal bits still adhering to the board? I can't see in those pictures any sign of whether the USB jack still has the terminals to solder into the board again.

But if it obviously does, then solder it back in by all means.

(If this answers your question, please rate my answer, so that this case may be closed. Thanks, ***** ***** luck with it.)