John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.

My Brother MFC-490CW will not receive a fax. It will send

Customer Question

My Brother MFC-490CW will not receive a fax. It will send one without any problems.
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: We just hooked it up today
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: The phone technician tried a few things but I'm not sure what they were
JA: How old is the phone?
Customer: They just put the phone line in and it is connected directly to the Brother all in one
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: No, thank you
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Printer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

What type of phone service do you have, that the Brother machine is working with?

When you dial the fax's number, using a voice phone, what happens and what do you hear?