John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.

I am setting up an P1606dn. I have it connected via ethernet

Customer Question

I am setting up an P1606dn. I have it connected via ethernet to my mac. Not getting airprint to work. It did work once before
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: just setting up in a new location
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: i can access the printer page via ip address
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: p1606dn 1.5 yrs
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Printer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Printers
Expert:  JKalman replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I am pleased to have the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I can help you solve your problem. What is your computer operating system?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
osx 10.11.3
Expert:  JKalman replied 3 months ago.

AirPrint is a wireless printing application, but you say that you printer is connected via Ethernet. Do you have an Ethernet cable connecting your printer to your router?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no it connects the mac directly to the printer. whaich connects to the router wirelessly
Expert:  JKalman replied 3 months ago.

Your printer does not have wireless capability. You need to install OSX printer drivers on your mac to connect to your wireless network via a direct usb connection to your mac. To guarantee a clean installation, it is best to completely remove your printer software first and then download and install the latest drivers from the official HP website. Do you want me to give you detailed directions on exactly how this must be done, or do you want me to connect remotely to your computer and do it for you? There will be an extra charge for Secure Remote Assistance.