Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

Wrt pixma mp990 dalogue box on printer states B200 issue,

Customer Question

wrt pixma mp990 dalogue box on printer states B200 issue, ".printer error has
occurred. Unplug power cord and contact service center". thus far, i have replaced both the power cable and usb cable. shut down and restarted computer MAC 27. To no avail. continue to get dialogue box as indicated above.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Bart.

Unfortunately this B200 error indicates a hardware problem,

specifically, it is the result of a bad printhead (or the logic board that controls it).

The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2009 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. This printer is now at well over double its designed lifespan, and has greatly exceeded any value that could be reasonably expected of it.

There is one step you can take here, to clean and reset the system, but it is very unlikely to help. 99.9% of the time, this does come down to a hardware fault.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the cleaning/reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?