Md. Sadique
Md. Sadique, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics engineer with 7+ years of experience in repairing office equipments & printers
22727371

I have an Epson XP 630 printer. Replaced the black ink

Customer Question

I have an Epson XP 630 printer. Replaced the black ink cartridge and get a message that it is not recognized. I have turned the printer on and off. I cleaned the cartridge area with alcohol wipe. Recently installed updates to printer. HELP!! Need to print for a funeral service in 2 hours.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Md. Sadique replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with the best answer possible.
Is it a problem with black cartridge or all the cartridges ?
Regards,

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The message says black. That was the only one I replaced.

Remove all cartridges and inspect the chip contacts (in printer). Epson printers use a series of thin gold plated wire contacts that the cartridge chip slides and presses against - when cartridge is installed. These contacts can corrode, or stick to the chip, particularly if they ever had any ink contamination. The wires can sometimes bend, or even get pulled out - with cartridge, when it is removed. If this is the case, there may not be that much you can do to fix it, other than getting the printer serviced.

Note: If you can find the missing wire contact and it's not damaged, sometimes it's possible to push it back in it's slot. It's fiddly and you need careful vision, but it can be done. Be careful not to bend it or damage something else in the process.
If all the wire contacts appear fine, try cleaning them with damp cotton bud or similar until they're all spotless. Please unplug the power cord any time you're working on the chip contacts, to prevent further printer problems. When finished, install all cartridges back in printer, plug the power cord back in, turn the printer power on.

Tell me if it makes any difference to your problem.